It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict Associating to Closed Work Items not working for me

Ed Koezly (46154) | asked Aug 10 '09, 12:16 p.m.
I'm able to unlinked change sets from closed work items even though I thought I configured it to disallow it.

In RTC 2.0, Project Area | Team Configuration | Operations Behavior | Source Control | Save Change Set Links and Comments (server), I select the precondition, "Restrict Associating to Closed Work Items". However, I can still unlink change sets from closed work items and link change sets to closed work items.

It's not working for me on a Windows server. However, on the Linux server, it does work. I visually compared the Process Configuration XML between the two servers. There's a lot of differences but I didn't see the relevant difference. Next I copied the entire Process Configuration XML from the Linux server to the Windows server. While the work flow differences matched the Linux server, I still could unlink change sets from closed work items. (right click change set on Links page and select Remove Work Items)

In case it matters, the Linux server database was migrated from 1.0.1.1 while the Windows server has a new database. Both are Oracle.

It didn't matter whether the addComment or restrictToSameProject properties were true or false. Both are false in Linux.

8 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Aug 10 '09, 9:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ed, the only reason I can think of is that the process specification doesn't apply to the current user based on his/her role. Can you double check this out? We've got a set of automated tests that verify this support and I've just tried it out again.
Cheers,
Jean-Michel

permanent link
Ed Koezly (46154) | answered Aug 12 '09, 5:16 p.m.
Jean-Michel, thanks for the help. My role is Team Member, although it behaves the same if I have no role. The operation behavior is set for the "default" user.

This is probably a user error, but I don't know what. It works properly for two other new projects. There were a few differences, mostly the order of XML properties, but I didn't see the key difference. Then I copied the entire process configuration XML from a working project to the new project. But it still did not work. I think I made the team members and project members the same, but still I could unlink defects and tasks. Someone else here with pretty much the same HW / SW / configuration set up a new project which works properly for him.

It works in every other case and is readily identifiable. I think it's something to remember in case it resurfaces, but for now I'm going to let it go.

permanent link
Ed Koezly (2631) | answered Oct 13 '09, 10:01 a.m.
Pretty much the same sequence of events and set up: the first project I created doesn't enforce the restriction on change set unlinking. I started with a fresh Oracle XE database for 2.0.0.1.

Again for now, I'm going to ignore it, since it's working on other projects.

permanent link
stephen laws (9184) | answered Mar 30 '10, 10:32 p.m.
We have recently upgraded to 2.0.0.2 iFix 01 and have noticed that Restrict Associating to Closed Work Items appears to no longer work. We primarily used this to have a comment automatically added...

I have noticed one odd behaviour: When I open the Process Configuration/Team Configuration/Operation Behaviour then go to Source Control/Save Change Set Links and Comments and the role of Everyone which is where we have this configured as soon as I click on the precondition the configuration is updated. At this point I have not made any changes so this is quite strange. I've also noticed that the "Add a comment to the work item when adding and removing links." is always unchecked. If I check it, move off the precondition and back it is unchecked again.

This is very frustrating...

permanent link
David Rostocil (911410) | answered Sep 23 '10, 3:46 p.m.
We have a team that is attempting to use this precondition to require a comment to a work item when adding or removing links. Like the previous poster, this option is not savable. We have even tried making the change in the process configuration source but it does not stay set. Is there a work item open for this defect?

permanent link
Binoy D'costa (9532737) | answered Oct 29 '10, 12:35 p.m.
I'm having same issues, this functionality seems to be broken. We need this implemented ASAP. We need users not to associate a change set to a defect which is in "Resolved" state. Can someone please shed some light here? Is this addressed? any existing workitems?

permanent link
David Rostocil (911410) | answered Oct 29 '10, 12:44 p.m.
There is a work item: http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=134014. For some reason the page won't load for me. If I remember correctly it has been resolved. I believe I tried to get it in 2.0.0.2 iFix5 but I don't think it made it.

permanent link
Binoy D'costa (9532737) | answered Oct 29 '10, 12:54 p.m.
@David Rostocil:

Thanks for your immediate response!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.