It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the purpose of the RTC category?

Jennifer Stofer (2312) | asked Sep 08 '15, 1:28 p.m.
I understand that to assign a work item to a team, I must first assign it to a category that is associated with that team? What is the purpose of this extra step? Why not just let me assign the work item directly to the team? How should I be thinking about categories so that I define ones that will be useful?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 08 '15, 3:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The idea behind categories is that they need to be a choice that the work item submitter can make.   If the work item submitter understands the current team structure, then they logically could just select the team directly (and in this case, you category names would just be the same as your team names).   For development submitted work items, that is often the case, but for end-user submitted work items, they will often have no idea what teams there are, or what exactly each team is responsible for.   In that case, the category mechanism lets you define a set of categories that do make sense to the end-user submitter, while still allowing automatic assignment to the appropriate team.   In addition, the category mechanism sometimes can allow you to restructure your teams without have to update all of the work item assignments, if you can just reassign one of the existing categories to a new team.
Jennifer Stofer selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.