It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

repotools -export and -import

David Weber (761810) | asked Jun 08 '09, 11:50 a.m.
I need to understand how to apply schema changes from a new plugin component with an ecore model to the database.

For example, I provision a new component with an ecore model. After provisioning, I run 'repotools -addTables' against the database, and a new schema gets created for the component. All is well so far.

Now, the developer updates the ecore model for the same component. From a previous jazz.net question, I understand that this scenario must be handled with repotools -export/-import.

My question is.... when I run -import after provisioning the updated component, do I first need to drop the database and recreate it, or can I just run repotools -import against the existing database?

Thanks,

Dave

2 answers

permanent link
Balaji Krish (1.8k12) | answered Jun 09 '09, 10:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
repotools -import drops and recreates the tables (i.e. import = creating a new database + importing the contents of the tar created during export).

So, you need to do an export first to export the contents to a tar file. You might also need to write a migrate handler to migrate the old schema contents to new contents. Then perform an import using the exported tar file. If the model change is a simple addition or removal of attributes, you don't need to write a migration handler.

--- Balaji
Jazz Server Team

I need to understand how to apply schema changes from a new plugin component with an ecore model to the database.

For example, I provision a new component with an ecore model. After provisioning, I run 'repotools -addTables' against the database, and a new schema gets created for the component. All is well so far.

Now, the developer updates the ecore model for the same component. From a previous jazz.net question, I understand that this scenario must be handled with repotools -export/-import.

My question is.... when I run -import after provisioning the updated component, do I first need to drop the database and recreate it, or can I just run repotools -import against the existing database?

Thanks,

Dave

permanent link
Manoj Tiwari (4684) | answered Jun 09 '09, 10:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

From command prompt try this syntax (for export and Import option seperately), before running make sure that Tomcat/WAS server is shutdown.

eg. repotools -export toFile=/export.tar

Regards,
Manoj

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.