It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: How are the reports configured?

Richard Tweed (811221) | asked Dec 09 '14, 8:34 a.m.

Background:

I'm running the native "Defect Backlog" report from the report menu of RTC (v5.0).  When I view the results, I see the chart displaying around 1000 work items.  When I run a query to show Defects only, I see there are around 50, however when I run a query to show me all work item types, the query returns around 1000.

The Defect work item type being used within the PA is heavily customised.

As a result, I'm thinking that the Defect Backlog report is showing me all work item types, not just Defects.

Question:

I am able to locate Rational material that describes each of the reports, however is there collateral that describes the configuration of the reports.  For example, does the Defect Backlog report look for work item types where the name is like *Defect*, does it look for work item types where the work item id is "defect" or has an alias of 'bug' etc....?

One answer

permanent link
Alanna Zito (1.3k3) | answered Dec 09 '14, 10:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Richard,

The only way I know of to find out exactly how a report works is to look at the template.  Unfortunately, I don't believe we have any documentation that goes into this type of detail.  The Defect Backlog report is a BIRT report, so it requires some knowledge of BIRT to understand it.

I took a look at the template, and it uses the work item type bindings to determine which work item type should be considered a "defect" (since it might be different depending on how the project area has been customized).  To check the type bindings, in your project area editor, go to Work Items -> Change Management Type Binding.  This should show you which type in your project is considered a defect.  If there is no binding for the defect type, then the report will just show all types, so perhaps this is the behaviour that you're seeing.

Comments
Richard Tweed commented Dec 09 '14, 11:06 a.m.

This is all good information, and whilst the template is configured with the CM Type Bindings correctly (so doesn't resolve the issue with the data volumes which I'll handle separately) it would still be useful to understand whether there are any considerations for customisation, specifically for example to work item types not included within the CM Type Bindings, such as Risk and any impacts on the Risk by Exposure report.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.