It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Semantics of components.txt in RTC project template

Marko Tomljenovic (31645109) | asked Aug 19 '14, 9:26 a.m.
Hello,
when exporting a RTC project template the resulting zip file contains some files.

There is also a "components.txt" that in our case contains following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><components>
    <component uri="com.ibm.team.workitem.linkClosure" version="1"/>
    <component uri="com.ibm.team.workitem.query" version="7"/>
    <component uri="com.ibm.team.dashboard" version="1.7"/>
    <component uri="com.ibm.team.enterprise.process" version="1"/>
    <component uri="com.ibm.team.workitem" version="11"/>
</components>

What is this about? Does it say anyhting about the RTC server version the template has been exported from?

Thank you
Kind regards, Marko

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 20 '14, 12:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, my understanding is that this is where the version compatibility information is stored.
If any of your server process component versions do not match those in the components.txt file, then attempting to import that template into that server will fail with a "version mismatch" error.

Marko Tomljenovic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Aug 20 '14, 3:07 a.m. | edited Aug 21 '14, 8:43 p.m.

Could you please verify that this version information is also used to perform a compatibitily/validity check when doing a template import?

Thank you

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 21 '14, 8:43 p.m.

Yes, I have verified with the RTC process team that this answer is correct.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Aug 22 '14, 3:33 a.m.

Fine. Thank you for that.

But I still have one last question regarding that.  :)

The version of the process components are not increased with each RTC version but only if the respective component really has been changed, correct?

Background of the question is the assumption that I could then import templates (created with RTC version X) into other (newer or older) RTC versions as long as the process component versions are the same for both RTC versions.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 22 '14, 11:58 a.m.

Yes, the version of a particular process component is incremented only if there has been an incompatible change in that process component (which is why the process components do not all have the same version number).   And yes, you can therefore import a process template as long as the process component versions match those of the server you are importing into.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.