It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team notification on category assignment

Carson Holmes (11113543) | asked Jul 19 '13, 4:58 p.m.
edited Jul 23 '13, 2:33 p.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
 Is there a way to send a notification to all the members of a team when a work item is filed against one of their categories?

Comments
Clement Liu commented Jul 19 '13, 7:06 p.m. | edited Jul 23 '13, 11:34 a.m.

You meant email notification? If yes then there isn't anything you can use out-of-the-box. This definitely needs customization. 

However, team members can receive RSS feeds when the work item is created or modified. 

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Carson Holmes commented Jul 23 '13, 11:20 a.m.

Yes, I meant email notification.  If anyone has done this type of customization, I'd appreciate any references to help me get started.  Thanks. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 23 '13, 2:31 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Carson,

although I strongly believe there are a lot better solutions built into RTC - dashboards and a query for unassigned work items, as well as RSS feeds come into mind - if you still intent to flood your team mate's e-mail folders, there was a similar question here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/82095/trigger-mail-from-rtc-after-a-specific-field-has-been-changed . You could take the advice and go ahead. There are several options, subscribing the team, or, probably better, just use the mail service to send one mail.
Carson Holmes selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Carson Holmes commented Jul 23 '13, 3:30 p.m.

Thanks Ralph, I do try to steer users towards the feed widgets, but in this case they do want that "one mail" to let them know there is something new that needs immediate attention.  Thanks for the reference. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '13, 3:35 p.m.

Welcome Carson, I have seen this many, many times. So this is not a unique request.

There are probably a dozen or more such custom solutions out there.  I should probably do a blog on it. However, I also see all the mail notifications in my inbox and it is just scary 8-)

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '13, 3:44 p.m.

BTW, a feed reader line RSSOwl might be a good alternative.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.