Workaround: Using the P2 site to install the Rational Team Concert client into an Eclipse 3.6.2 instance prevents that instance from restarting
Author: Victor Villasenor
Last updated: 23 November 2017
Build basis: Rational Team Concert 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4
If you use the shipped P2 site to install the Rational Team Concert client for Eclipse IDE into an Eclipse 3.6.2 instance, the Eclipse instance fails to restart.
WorkaroundComplete the following steps:
1. Prepare the environment.
a. Install a clean instance of Eclipse 3.6.2 by extracting the archive file into a location where you have not previously attempted to install Rational Team Concert plug-ins. Configure this Eclipse instance with the matching Java 1.7 version (32-bit or 64-bit).
b. Download the required 3.6.2 Rational IES Patches patches (3.6.2-Rational-IES_PATCHES_RTC40-fixzippack.zip) from
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes?parent=ibm~Rational&product=ibm/Rational/Rational+Team+Concert&release=184.108.40.206&platform=All&function=all. An IBM ID is required.
c. Extract the file to a path in the target system.
2. Add the Update Site for Eclipse Helios release (If not present) into the target Eclipse instance.
a. Click Help > Install New Software.
b. Click Add.
c. In the Name field, enter Helios.
d. In the Location field, enter http://download.eclipse.org/releases/helios. Click OK.
e. Clear the Group Items by category check box.
3. Install the features that are required for Rational Team Concert.
a. With the Helios update site still shown in the Work with field, select Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment. Click Next. Review the agreement. Click Finish to install the feature. Restart the Eclipse client.
b. Repeat step a, but select XSD – XML Schema definition Model. Restart the Eclipse client.
c. Repeat step a, but select Eclipse Modeling Framework Runtime and Tools. Restart the Eclipse client.
d. Repeat step a, but select Eclipse Java Development Tools. Restart the Eclipse client.
4. Apply the additional required patches.
a. Add a new local update site by pointing to location of the extracted file that you downloaded in step 1.
b. Select the new update site, and then select the following entries:
– Equinox P2 USER UI Patch (bugzillas 338600,348013,345723)
– HELP Patch (bugzillas 375751)
– JDT Patch (bugzillas 336934,341131,342073,351095,355570,305172,287164, 311192)
– PDE Patch (bugzillas 337909,308741,347379)
– Platform Patch (bugzillas 337719,335860,342308,345760,342308,345549,355614,339360)
– RCP Patch (bugzillas 333323,344855,344653,277618,350739,345549)
c. Click Next. Review the agreement. Click Finish to install the patches. Restart the Eclipse client.
5. Install Rational Team Concert by using the P2 site.
a. Add the Rational Team Concert update site location. This location can be local (on the same machine) or remote (specify the URL where the P2 update site is made available for your organization).
b. With the Rational Team Concert update site shown in the Work with field, select the Rational Team Concert Client (extend an Eclipse installation) group.
c. Click Next. Review the agreement. Click Finish. Restart the client. When the client opens, the Work Items perspective should be available and functional.
- Work Item 439124
- Install RTC Eclipse Client 4.0 into an existing Eclipse 3.6.2 using Installation Manager
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2017