Requiring Electronic Signatures in the web client
For compliance purposes, your organization might require users to provide electronic signatures at specific points during the workflow of a work item. You can configure this requirement by adding the Electronic Signature attribute, presentation, and precondition to a work item type.
- Navigate to the project area in the administrative web interface.
From within the project area, click Preconditions & Follow-up
The Preconditions & Follow-up Actions page opens and shows the existing configurations for the project area or team area.
If there is already a Save Work Item configuration item, click
Edit; if no Save Work Item configuration item exists,
The Create New Configuration wizard opens.
- Expand the Work Items category to select the Save Work Item operation for which you want to configure a precondition or follow-up action. Click Next.
- Select the role for which the precondition or follow-up action will apply. Click Next.
Select whether the configuration should apply all the time, for only iterations of a specific
iteration type, or for only a specific timeline or iteration. Click
The wizard closes, and the Preconditions & Follow-up Actions page shows the new configuration with no preconditions or follow-up actions specified.
- Click + Add, select Electronic Signature from the Add Precondition window and then click OK.
- In the Title field, type a title for the precondition, and an optional description. The title is displayed to users in the Electronic Signature Required window. You might want to edit the title or description to emphasize process or governance requirements in your organization.
- To select the type work item that requires an electronic signature, on the Approval Type tab, click Add. In the Add window, use the Type menu to define the kind of work item that requires an electronic signature; then, specify the kind of approval required: Approval, Review, or Verification.
- To specify a workflow action such as Resolve or Verify that requires an electronic signature, on the Workflow Actions tab, click Add. In the Add window, use the Type menu to define the kind of work item that requires an electronic signature; then, specify the kind of workflow action such as Resolve, Verify or Reopen, for example. Different work item types have specific actions that update dynamically when you specify a work item type. Click Save to save your project area.
- In the left navigation pane, click Work items. In the Attributes section, you can select the Electronic Signature precondition for an existing attribute, or create a new attribute.
- Select the work item type category, such as Defect.
- In the Attributes section, click Add. Enter a name for the electronic signature attribute, such as E-Sig.
- In the Type field, select Electronic Signature, and click OK.
- Click Save to save the project area.
Click Editor Presentations. In the Editor
Presentations list, expand Approvals. Select Approvals
(layout slot: <None>). Click Add Presentation.
If a Locked Section window opens, then the selected section is shared with other editor presentations, and if you make changes to it (for example, add a presentation), those changes will also appear in all presentations that share this section. You can select Unlock this section and make the changes, impacting other editor presentations, or you can select Replace these instances of the shared section and tab with unshared duplicates to make a copy of the section to use in this context. If you then make changes to the copied section, they do not impact other editor presentations.
- In the Attribute field, select the attribute you just created, such as E-Sig; in the Kind field, select Electronic Signature, and click OK. Click Save to save the project area.
- Expand Team Configuration and select Operation Behavior. In the Operations grid, click the cell in the Save Work Item row for the role for which you want the electronic signature requirement to apply. In the Preconditions section, click Add. Select Electronic Signature and click OK.
- In the Actions table, select the work item type, such as Defect, that contains the Electronic Signature attribute. Click Edit. Select the approval type, such Approval, Review, or Verification, for which you want to apply the Electronic Signature precondition. Click Save to save the project area.