Defining releases in the web client
Releases are the products of a team's work. The releases that you identify appear in the list associated with the Found In field on a work item.
With this task, you can define releases in the project administration interface. You can also create a release in the build results editor and associate the completed build with the release. For details, see Associating builds with releases.
About this task
To define releases in the web client:
- From the web client home menu, in the Change and Configuration Management section, select All Projects from the list of projects.
- Click Manage Project next to the Project area for which you want to define releases.
- Click the Releases tab. Click the Add release icon.
- Complete the fields of the Add Release window:
- Enter a name and brief description for the release.
- Optional: Click the Select Iteration icon
and select an iteration that you want to associate with the release.
Tip: If you intend to support linking work items to versioned artifacts that belong to configurations in Configuration Management-enabled project areas in applications such as Requirements Management and Quality Management, you might need to associate the release with an iteration. See Enabling linking of work items to versioned artifacts for details.
- To enable linking of work items to versioned artifacts, you must associate releases with global configurations. Click the Select Global Configuration icon . In the Select the Configuration Context window, select the type of global configuration: Streams, Personal Streams, Baselines, or Baseline Staging Streams. To see all global configurations of the selected type, enter * in the Search field. Alternatively, enter text in the Search field. Select a global configuration from the results, then click OK.
- Optional: Select the date when the release
is expected to be complete and available. Note: If you associated an iteration with the release, this field is read-only. In this case, the release date is calculated based on the selected iteration.
- To limit visibility of the release to members of this project area team, click the Hide Release Visibility from All but Members of the Team check box.
- Click OK. The release appears in the Releases table. You can change the initial visibility setting of a release by clicking the check box in the Restrict Visibility column.
- To remove an old release from the table, select the check box for the release in the Actions column, then click the Archive All Selected button. To view archived releases, click Show Archived. Archived releases appear grayed out. To restore an archived release, select it and click the Unarchive Selected button.
- To adjust the order in which releases appear in the Found In field list, select a release in the table, open the Actions drop-down menu and click Move Up or Move Down.
- When you finish defining releases, click Save to save your changes.