Customizing email notifications
By using templates, you can customize the content of email messages that are sent to users to notify them of changes to work items.
Within each project area, you can customize notification messages that are sent for the following events:
About this task
- A user is added as an approver to a work item.
- A user has been mentioned with the Message at me (@user-name) convention.
- A work item has been modified.
For details about the email notification template syntax, see Work item Email notification template syntax.
- Open the Mail Templates page:
- In the Team Artifacts view of the Work Items perspective, right-click the project area and select Open.
- Click the Process Configuration tab.
- Expand E-mail Templates. , and then click
- Select the template that you want to modify. The Mail
subject field contains the text that appears in the email
subject line. In the Mail body field, you can
edit the text in either HTML or plain text. By default, HTML messages
are disabled for each user.
- After you finish editing, preview the changes by clicking Test
Template. In the Template Test window,
select a user in the Name field and a work
item in the Work item field. Click Generate to
display the new message in the Subject preview and Body
Preview sections. You can make further changes in the Template
subject and Template body sections,
and then click Generate again to test these
changes. To keep the additional changes, click Apply;
otherwise, click Cancel.
- Click Save to save your changes to the project area.
After you save your changes, email notifications use the modified template.