Additional ways to create work items
In addition to the procedure in “Creating work items,” you can create work items in various contexts.
- In the Eclipse client, on the Work Items perspective main toolbar, click the Capture Screenshot and Attach to New Work Item icon. Position the frame around the area to capture, click the camera icon, and click Attach to New Work Item.
- In the Error Log view, right-click an entry and select New Work Item.
- In the JUnit view, right-click a test and select New Work Item.
- On the JUnit results page in the build editor, right-click a test failure and select Create Work Item.
- On the Summary tab of the build editor, click the Create a new work item link.
- In the work item editor, select text from the Summary, Description, or Discussion fields, right-click the text, and select Extract Work Item. A work item whose Summary field contains the text that you selected is created. The new work item contains a link to the original work item.
- In the work item editor, click the menu from the work item
ID and select Create Work Item Copy to create
a duplicate work item. Note: When you copy a work item, you can select the following attributes if they have non-default values: Due Date, Estimate, Category, Found In, Owner, Target, Tags, Priority, Severity, Time Spent, and all custom attributes of the given type. The attributes that are copied are the selected attributes, summary, and description. A link is also created to the original work item.
Links and file attachments are not copied to the new work item.
- In the work item editor, click the menu from the work item ID and select Link to New Work Item. A work item is created and linked to the current work item. This option is also available wherever you can access the work item menu, such as in query results.
- From the Console view, right-click an entry and select New Work Item. You can also select text, right-click it, and select New Work Item.
- On the Planned Items page of a plan, right-click an item in the body of the page and select Add Work Item or Add Work Items from Template.