Searching for object dependencies with the system definition reference search on IBM i
Before you archive a particular language definition, search path, library definition, or translator, you can search your Eclipse workspace and display a list of references to any of these objects.
Before you begin
About this task
- In the client, click Search in the
topmost toolbar. A menu is displayed.
- Select Search from the menu.
A Search window opens.
- Click the System Definition Reference Search tab.
- In the first field, select the repository to which you are logged in.
- Select the project area you want to search.
- In the Search For field, first select IBM i as
the system and then select what you want to search for:
Tip: Put an asterisk (*) at the end of a search string to perform a wild card search. For example, if you want to search for and display a list of any translators that begin with the letters "CO," enter CO* in the Search string field.
- Language definitions
- Search paths
- Library definitions
- In the Limit To field, choose how
you want to filter the display results. You can choose to limit your
search to one of the following object statuses:
- Click Search to search or Cancel to
stop. Note: The queries related to system definition searches run against indices. The size of the indices increases over time.
The location of the indices is controlled by the com.ibm.team.jfs.index.root.directory variable in the teamserver.properties file of the Change and Configuration Management (CCM) application. For a large stream, the indices folder can grow in size to multiple gigabytes (GB). The administrator might prefer to set an absolute path for the variable, to ensure that enough disk space is available for the growth of the indices.
What to do next
Performing the References To action
Perform the References To action to discover and display a list of any references to a language definition, library definition, search path, or translator that you are considering archiving.
About this task
- In the Team Artifacts view, expand your project area node,
then expand the Library Definitions Search Paths, or Language Definitions
node. Note: To select a translator, you must first expand the Language Definitions node.
- Right-click the library definition, search path, language definition, or translator whose references you want to display.
- Select References To.
A list of objects that reference your language definition, library definition, search path, or translator opens in the Search Results window.