The product owner or business analyst organizes requirements and supporting artifacts in the project structure, and then works with stakeholders and team leads to define, prioritize, and obtain approval on a set of requirements.
Before you beginPrior to organizing the requirements, develop a project vision. The high-level feature requirements and related artifacts in the vision document provide a starting point for elaborating and prioritizing a set of approved requirements for the release.
1. Define requirementsPerform the following tasks to create project structure and trace to supporting artifacts:
- Create a project structure for organizing requirements and supporting artifacts, which were
gathered while developing the vision. Add folders for storing:
- stakeholder requests, which include business goals
- features, which include ideas for features, market analysis, and release themes
- user stories, which are expressed in rich-text documents, possibly with embedded images of sketches and flow diagrams
- system-wide requirements, which include non-functional requirements such as performance and translation
- glossary, which includes terms and definitions
- Trace requirements to supporting artifacts.
Supporting tasks:Links between artifacts
2. Prioritize requirementsUse the Artifacts and Collections pages to view and open artifacts and collections. Set attributes and filter for high-priority requirements.
- Assign business value and competitive response attribute values to requirements.
- Filter the requirements using high-priority attributes, such as Business Value = High and Competitive Response = High.
- Add the results of the query to a new collection.
Supporting references and tasks:
3. Approve requirementsGroup requirements in a collection and initiate a review of the requirements by development leads, test team leads, and other stakeholders, and gain approval for the release requirements.
- Create a formal review of the collection and identify the reviewers.
- Each reviewer receives notice of the review, performs the review, and approves the collection.
- The analyst receives notification when approvals are complete and baselines the collection.