Find, filter, and colorize work items
You can use the Filter Box to find, filter, and colorize work items in the My Work view.
About this task
To create find, filter, and colorize criteria, use the
quick query syntax described in Quick query syntax. Type a word in the Filter Box to match words
in work item names and descriptions. You can also enter specific attribute
values. The syntax is
attribute:value; for example,
estimate:unset to see only items without estimates,
priority:high to see high-priority items
only. Match multiple conditions by separating entries by a space.
Press Ctrl+space to display available attributes
for a partial entry in the Filter Box.
To find, filter, and colorize work items in a plan or My Work view:
- Add My Work view if it is not currently displayed by clicking .
- To display the Filter Box, click or press Ctrl+F.
- In the Filter Box that opens at
the bottom of the page or view, click the down arrow to the left of
the text field, and select one of the following options:
- Find Work Items (): Highlight work items with names or descriptions that contain the typed text or with attributes that match the specified values. Use the Up () and Down () arrows in the Filter Box to move to the previous and next work items that match your criteria.
- Filter Work Items (): Display only work items with names or descriptions that contain the text you type or with attributes that match the values you specify.
- Colorize Work Items (): Add a color background to the work items whose names or descriptions contain the text you type or whose attributes match the values you specify. Click the down arrow next to the Select Color icon () to select a color for the background.
- Type an entry to specify the criteria, or press Ctrl+space to display a list of attributes, such as category, description, and timeline. Click an attribute in the list for a brief
description. Use the syntax described in Quick query syntax. For attributes with enumerations, such as priority and severity, press Ctrl+space after the operator to display a list of values. An attribute and
enumeration value example is
priority:high. Attributes and enumeration values depend on your process template or customization. Match multiple conditions by separating entries by a space.
- To remove the find, filter, and colorize criteria and restore the full list of work items on the page, click the Clear Filter icon () in the Filter Box.