The Work Breakdown and Schedule chart
You can use the Work Breakdown and Schedule chart to view the progress of a plan, the dependencies between work items, and the critical path. You can also use this chart to change the schedule and priority of work items.
The Accumulated Time column
The Accumulated Time column displays the duration bar for all work items.
You can see the following details:
- The duration bar is displayed in red if that work item is on the critical path.
- The duration bar is in the shape of a handle for plan items.
- The connector between two duration bars suggests dependencies between work items.
- The duration bar displays both the duration and the estimate of
the work item. (You can drag the duration bar to change estimate of
a work item.)Note: For example, a work item is estimated for two days and its status is changed to In Progress. If the status of the work item is unresolved after two days, the duration bar is extended to include the number of days until the work item is resolved. The duration bar also includes non-working days.
- If a work item exists for two or three weeks and has the status of New or Triaged, the duration bar for that work item is displayed for the current date and not for the date when the work item was created.
- If you hover the mouse pointer over the duration bar, the hover
help displays the remaining time. Note: For example, if a work item is estimated for 16 hours and you entered 8 hours on the Time Tracking tab, the hover help displays the remaining 8 hours.
In addition, you can toggle the view to see iterations and their start and end dates by clicking the Toggle Display Overview icon ().
Current, planned, and proposed schedules
You can view the current schedule, along with the planned or proposed schedule, by editing the plan view and selecting the schedules for the Accumulated Time column:
When you hover the mouse pointer over the Accumulated Time column for a work item, the current schedule is displayed along with the planned or proposed schedule:
As work progresses, you can adjust the plan commitments by taking a new Planned snapshot. For more information, see Plan snapshots.
The Effective Estimate column
- If both values are available, the value in the Correction field is used.
- The Correction field is updated only if the Estimate field is not empty.
- If you add or update an estimate from the Effective Estimate column, it is reflected in the Estimate or Correction field, and vice versa.
You can create and delete dependencies. Dependencies are displayed in the Accumulated Time and Predecessor columns.
After you create the predecessor link, if you change the status or enter the time spent for the successor work item before updating its predecessor, both of the work items are shown parallel to each other. The dependency arrow is not removed.