Deciding which ELM reporting option to use
Jazz® Reporting Service (JRS) is the default reporting tool for the IBM® Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM). The table lists the factors to consider as you decide which reporting option is best for you.
- Report Builder to create or edit your report
- Lifecycle Query Engine (LQE) as an index of your data source
- Data Collection Component to collect data from the applications and store it in the data warehouse
Document Builder is also available as part of the ELM installation. If you use IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Publishing to create customized printable documents, you can generate documents from Document Builder, which is simpler to use than importing the PUB design files into the ELM applications and running them using the embedded Engineering Document Generation.
In deciding what option to use, consider these factors:
- Depending on your applications and the type of information that you want to report on, your data can be collected in a data warehouse by DCC or indexed by LQE. You can use Jazz Reporting Service whether your projects have configurations or not. If you collect data about configurations, you must use an LQE scoped by a configuration data source. See Choosing the right data source.
- You can install IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Engineering Insights(ENI) to visualize engineering data across applications.
- You can use IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Publishing (PUB) to create printable document-style reports. End users can generate these reports using Document Builder.
- ALM Cognos® Connector is no longer available.
Deciding which reporting options to use
Use this table to make sure that you have the best reporting option, or to explore other possibilities.
The following table lists various decision points down the left column. After you find the ones that apply to you, see which reporting options to consider.
|Decision points||JRS||Document Builder||EDG||PUB||Built-in BIRT reports in ELM||ENI views|
|Generate informational formats.||Graphs, charts, row and column reports, drill-down data||Printable||Printable||Printable||Graphs, charts||Live views|
|Generate output formats.||Export to dashboards and Word, Excel, PDF, HTML||Word, PDF, Excel, HTML||Word, PDF, HTML||Word, PDF, Excel, HTML||Dashboards|
|Use a mature set of predefined reports.||For IBM Engineering Requirements Management DOORS® Next only|
|Create brand-new reports or customize existing reports.||No, import from PUB||No, import from PUB. Imported reports cannot include JRS queries.|
|Quickly scope agile reports across projects, teams, and iterations.||with reports imported from PUB||Report on one application only.|
|Report on the most recent data.||LQE uses live data; DCC time lapse of 10 minutes (default is 12 hours)|
|Report on historical trends.|
|Report on data within one ELM application.|
|Report on data across applications, even non-ELM applications.||and IBM Engineering Requirements Management DOORS||See this list.||Report on one application only.||See this list.||ELM applications only|
|Report on data from configurations.||
Only with LQE
|If enabled for global configurations, based on current configuration context when you invoke the report.|
|Create traceability reports for regulatory compliance.|
|Add your report to a dashboard||Embed in dashboards||Embed in dashboards|
|Generate large printable documents with custom headers, logos, fonts, and front and back matter|
|Include full requirements text and diagrams||DCC has a 255-character limit.|
|Visualize complex engineering data|
|Customize data collection||Only with DCC|
|Use multiple Jazz Team Servers.|
|Where do I get this option?||Installed with ELM||Additional installation and license required. Optionally installed with ELM or PUB||Installed with ELM||Additional installation and license required||Installed with ELM||Additional installation and license required|