Administering components and configurations in ELM applications
As a configuration lead or application administrator, you complete the tasks that are related to managing components and local configurations for your team. These tasks are common to the IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM) applications in which you enable configuration management.
About this task
See Administering components and configuration management capabilities for tasks that are related to managing components and local configurations.
- QM application:
- You can take snapshots of artifacts project area at important project milestones, but you cannot include these snapshots in global configurations.
- Starting in version 6.0.4, you can enable a project area to use only baselines: work in one
stream and take baselines as needed to capture artifact versions at milestones or critical points in
a release. In a baseline, you can capture the version of all the artifacts that support
versioning at one time, instead of taking snapshots of individual artifacts.
By enabling this feature, you can more easily compare project states, and revert to earlier versions of artifacts. For details, see the related topic. Later, if you want to do multi-stream development, and use components and global configurations, you can enable full configuration management capabilities.
- RM application: You can still create baselines of your project area at important project milestones, but you cannot include these baselines in global configurations.
- Configuration management and local configurations: see Getting started with configuration management.
- Using global configurations to provide a view of all the artifacts that are contained in a set
of related local configurations: see Global Configuration Management.
Global configurations are managed by the Global Configuration Management (GCM) application.
- Best practices: see Best practices for configuration management in IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM).
To watch YouTube videos about configuration management, go to the Introduction to configuration management with IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management playlist on the Software Education channel.