Modifying role-based permissions
Permissions are assigned to individual roles in a project area, team area, or process template. You can modify the permissions for performing operations by using the Permissions tab of the project area or team area. In the web client, you cannot modify permissions in a process template.
Before you begin
About this task
Operations are organized into a hierarchy of categories, operations, and actions. For example, in the figure below, Build, Build Subsets, Context-Aware Search, and Dashboards are categories. The Build category includes multiple operations. The Control The Build Lifecycle operation is expanded to show its three actions: Complete Build, Retrieve the Next Build Request, and Start Build. You can expand and collapse each operation. To expand or collapse all operations, click the Expand All icon or the Collapse All icon .
- Navigate to the project area in the administrative web interface. See Logging in for project administrators and team leads (web).
- In the project area, click Permissions.
The default view is Show by Role.
- In the Select a role pane, select a role for which to modify permissions.
- In the Permissions for role section,
do one or more of the following tasks:
- To grant permission to perform all actions to the role, click the Grant permission for all operations icon .
- To revoke permission to perform all actions, click the Revoke permission for all operations icon .
- To grant or revoke permission for all actions in an operation,
click the Grant Permission icon or the Revoke Permission icon in the Actions column
for the entire operation. For example, the following figure shows
permission granted for all actions for the Save Personal
Dashboard operation. Because all actions are granted,
the Permitted icon appears in the operation
- To grant or revoke permission for one or more actions, but
not all actions, in an operation, click the Grant Permission icon
or the Revoke Permission icon in the Actions column
for each action. For example, the following figure shows permission
revoked for the Delete the Team Dashboard action.
Because two of the actions are permitted and one is not, the operation
row displays the Some actions are permitted icon .
- Optional: To set the text that is shown when permission to perform an operation is denied, click the Edit Operation Properties icon in the Actions column for the operation. Enter the explanation text in the Show explanation when permission is denied field.
- Optional: To prevent a child team area or a project area that consumes the process of this project area from overriding the permission setting for an operation, click the Edit Operation Properties icon in the Actions column for the operation. Then select Final (ignore customization of this operation in child areas).
- To save your changes, click Save.