Creating lifecycle projects from a template in the Lifecycle Project Administration user interface
The Lifecycle Project Administration user interface includes predefined templates that you can use to create a lifecycle project and the project areas that belong to that lifecycle project.
Before you begin
About this task
- In the Lifecycle Project Administration user interface, click Templates.
- If the predefined templates are not visible, click Deploy
Predefined Templates. Note: If you upgrade from a previous release, deploying templates overwrites the previous versions of those templates. If you have customized any of the predefined templates and want to preserve those customizations, be sure to change the <dc:identifier> value in the template XML file and save the template XML file under a different name before you deploy the new predefined templates.
In releases prior to 4.0.1, the predefined requirements management lifecycle project templates included support for the Base project template. As of release 4.0.1, the Base template has been replaced with the Requirements Template for Testers project template. If you upgrade to 4.0.1 from an earlier release and attempt to create a lifecycle project from one of the predefined templates that refers to the Base project template, you encounter an error because the Base project template no longer exists. To work around this problem, click Deploy Predefined Templates. The new predefined templates refer to the Requirements Template for Testers project template instead of the Base template.
- In the row for the template that you want to use, click , the Create Lifecycle Project from this Template icon.
- Enter a name for the lifecycle project.
- Optionally, select a different locale.
- Optionally, enter a brief description of the lifecycle project in the Description field.
- The Artifact Containers for Template section shows the project areas to be created for each application. By default, each project area is named based on the name that you specify for the lifecycle project. You can specify a different name for each project area.
The Artifact Containers for Template section shows the process template (Change and
Configuration Management and Quality Management) or project template (Requirements Management) or to
be used for each project area. To choose a different template for a project area, select it from the
drop-down list. For example, in the figure below, SAFe 4.0 Process (Portfolio) is the default
template for the change and configuration management project area.
- For each project area listed in the Artifact Containers
for Template section, you can choose to include an existing project
area in the lifecycle project instead of creating a new project area.
Click Link to Existing and select the project
area that you want to include. This option allows you create a lifecycle project that includes new project areas and existing project areas.Tip: When you link to an existing project area while you create a lifecycle project from a template, associations are established between that project area and the other project area or areas in the lifecycle project as specified by the lifecycle project template.
- To include additional existing project areas, click Add in
the Additional Artifact Containers section. For project areas that you specify in the Additional Artifact Containers section, associations are not added. Any associations that exist in those project areas remain.
- Click Save to save your changes.