Configuring browsers to support TLS 1.2 for NIST SP 800-131
To comply with the US government SP 800-131 security standard, you can configure your browser to support the Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 protocol.
About this task
Restriction: The only browsers that currently support TLSv1.2 are Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
- To configure Internet Explorer version 8 and later, complete
- In Internet Explorer, click .
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
- Scroll to the Security section, select the Use TLS 1.2 check box, and click OK.
- To configure Firefox version 24 and later, complete these
- Open a Firefox browser and enter about:config in the address bar.
- When prompted, click I'll be careful, I promise! and accept the warning.
- Search for security.tls.version.max.
- Double-click security.tls.version.max and
change the value to 3 to configure the browser to support TLS1.2.
Tip: Value of 1 supports TLS1.0. Value of 2 supports TLS1.0 and TLS1.1. Value of 3 supports TLS1.0, TLS1.1, and TLS1.2.