Verifying Rational ClearQuest and Rational ClearCase
After a successful server rename operation, and after you complete the steps in the server rename verification wizard, you perform a final verification of your integrations with IBM® Rational ClearQuest and IBM Rational ClearCase.
Please follow the steps in the preferred order below to validate server rename.
- Verify that you can create new links from the IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM) applications to the integrated Rational ClearQuest user database.
- Verify that you can follow existing links to Rational ClearQuest records from the ELM applications.
- Verify that you can create new links from theRational
database to the integrated ELM
A failure in this verification step indicates that there are problems in the Rational ClearQuest web server configuration files. Make sure that you run the Rational ClearQuest remapping tool with the -remapconfigfiles option to update URLs stored in the Rational ClearQuest web server configuration files. See Remapping URIs after renaming a server for further details about the remapping tool. Also make sure that you restart the Rational ClearQuest web server after running the tool.
- Verify that you can follow existing links to ELM
artifacts from the Rational
A failure in this verification step indicates that there are stale URLs in the Rational ClearQuest user database. You must run the Rational ClearQuest remapping tool with the -update option to update URLs stored in the Rational ClearQuest user database.
When using server rename for a staging environment, verify that outgoing synchronization is disabled either via the web admin or the external repository connection.
When using server rename for the pilot to production scenario or the production to production scenario, after server rename, work item fields that contain URLs are displayed with the updated URLs, but these changes are not automatically synchronized out to CQ. Manually force synchronization to sync out those updated links. For details, see Performing post-server rename actions for the ClearQuest Synchronizer– pilot to production scenario.
Depending on how many work items need to be synchronized, this could take a long time. After synchronization completes, check for the following:
- Check that any URLs contained in the headline or descriptions fields of synchronized CQ defects reflect the updated URL of the work item.
- Any URLs contained in CQ comments will still contain the stale links. You should see a new CQ comment to notify the user that a server rename has occurred.
- Verify that no CQ comment with stale URLs are synchronized back into Change and Configuration Management (CCM).
- In the server rename verification wizard, verify that the external
repository connection URLs (that is, the CQ Gateway URL for the CQ
Synchronizer) is listed under the Synchronizer category. For the staging
scenario only, this URL should be masked out in the generated mapping
file and should appear renamed in the server rename verification wizard.
It should not appear renamed in the other server rename scenarios.
Because the server rename verification wizard runs before the server rename is finalized, the CQ Gateway URL should appear before the other text since the other text is about what to do after server rename has been finalized.
If you are running version 22.214.171.124 or higher of the ClearCase Bridge, you must update Engineering Workflow Management task links after the server rename and before proceeding to the verification steps below. This step is not required for the other versions of Rational ClearCase that support server rename; that is, versions 7.1.1.x and 7.1.2.x. For details, see Rational ClearCase. Then, proceed as follows:
- Verify that the associated work item can be opened from UCM activities or base Rational ClearCase versions in the Eclipse CTE/EWM client.
- Verify that the work item URL is updated for the associated base Rational ClearCase versions by using the cleartool describe command, if the VOB schema is 80 and feature level is 7 or higher. If not, there is no need for the work item URL verification.
You must update the synchronization environment after the server rename and before proceeding to the verification steps below. For details, see Rational ClearCase.
Then, verify that synchronization build engines are connected to the renamed server after they have been restarted from the Rational ClearCase Synchronized Streams view. The build engine console should display Waiting for request, rather than Repository connection failed.