Planning to upgrade on z/OS
This section describes the testing, backup, future migration considerations, and other tasks you should plan for before you upgrade older versions of the IBM® Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM) applications to a newer version on a z/OS system.
- IBM Installation Manager is not compatible with installations or upgrades on z/OS
- Installations on z/OS are handled by SMP/E (System Modification Program/Extended)
- The Jazz® Team Server and other ELM applications on z/OS use configuration and working directories that are separate from installation directories
For advanced or deployment-specific information about upgrading, see the Installing, upgrading, and migrating section of the Jazz.net Deployment wiki.
Upgrade testing considerations
Installing an ELM application on z/OS is subject to the same restrictions as other platforms. See Deployment and upgrade planning for IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management.
Because of server architectural changes between versions and releases, you must create new configuration and work directories for the upgraded server when you upgrade to the new version from a previous version or release. Non-server components, such as build agents, can be tested at the new version or release without having an impact on previous installations. See Staging a test environment for the upgrade process for testing strategies.
A repository will only work with either a 3.0.x server, a 4.0.x server, a 5.0.x server, or a 6.0.x server. Each new version, release, or fix pack updates the data model using the repository tools addTables command. The upgrade process tags the repository with a version and release number, which means that it can only be used with that version and release. If you want to maintain an existing repository, you must unload any Jazz Team Server (JTS), CCM, QM, and data warehouse repositories that you want to maintain and load them into new repositories. This process will leave the existing repositories intact as backups. The upgrade can not be rolled back without a repository backup. The details of this process are referenced in the server upgrade sections that follow.
Future migration considerations
- Use the Db2 UNLOAD and LOAD utilities provided with ELM to UNLOAD the JTS and CCM data. (This is the preferred option.)
- Use the IBM Engineering Workflow Management (EWM) repository tools export and import functions with JDBC to create an export file that you can import to a new repository.
- If you have additional tools to complete this function, use the tool set of your choice to unload the data and reload to a new database with a larger page size. This process should be tested.
Next stepsConfigure your server according to the instructions that match your upgrade scenario and infrastructure that follow.
If your server environment is configured on z/OS, refer to Upgrading the server configuration on z/OS for information about how to upgrade the server.