It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

implemented by link not appearing while linking business need with task

Ayan Paul (2552230) | asked Jan 18 '13, 6:26 a.m.
implemented by link not appearing while linking business need with task. I have opened business need and want to link a task using implemented by. But it is not appearing.

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 23 '13, 7:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi, Ayan. Can you provide some more details? What version of CLM? How was it installed (full CLM install, are you using our sandbox)? I created Lifecycle projects with CLM 4.0.1 with the Agile, Traditional and Use Case Requirements templates and do not see a "Business Need" artifact type -- is this possibly a custom type?

Ayan Paul commented Jan 23 '13, 11:13 p.m.

CLM version 4.0.1, full CLM has been installed. Business Need is a Work Item type in ccm. I believe it's not a custom field.
We are trying to map a CCM work Item with another CCM workitem using implemented by link.
Anything possible?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 24 '13, 1:34 a.m.

Ah, my apologies, I don't often use the Formal template. Bad assumption on my part that you were trying to link between CCM and RM. 

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 24 '13, 1:38 a.m.
edited Jan 24 '13, 11:19 a.m.
Looking at the setup for a Lifecycle project, CCM "provides implementation requests" to RM -- that association is what gets you an "implemented by" link type. I tried setting up some associations within a CCM project and that association is not available (just uses/provides change sets and provides related change requests). I think the Business Need in the formal template is intended more as a container, so the tasks that implement that business need would be children. Since you have a full CLM install, have you considered using RM for requirements -- it was built to provide this sort of linking and traceability.

According to this article on using the Traditional template, "Business Need work item types are defined as plan items". So they are intended to be parents (or containers) for Implementation items. The natural relationship here is Parent-Child. So that essentially defines the the "implements" relationship.

Comments
Ayan Paul commented Jan 24 '13, 3:09 a.m.

yes, RM is used for requirements. But I want to show the link between Business Need & Task, which can't be displayed in link explorer as no such CCM->CCM link is available. Any idea to show that would be helpful.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 24 '13, 11:19 a.m.

I amended the answer with additional info. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.