It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

An attached file to a work itemĀ  that is removed can still be accessed and downloaded through the link in history.

Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | asked Jan 17 '13, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Using RTC 4.0 GA, I found that an attached file to a work item  that is removed can still be accessed and downloaded through the link in history.

steps I used:
Add a file in the attachment list in a WI
Save the WI
Remove the attachment.
Save the WI
Check work item history:
The history should show that there was a file added as attachment and then removed but there should not be a reference to the file.

is this a defect?

2 answers

permanent link
Claudio Neves (4133) | answered Jan 31 '13, 2:52 p.m.
Hello Eric,

Can you please explain if the attachment is really deleted from the repository, or it's just not accessible anymore? On the SDK docs for the IAuditable, it was clear that nothing is really DELETED from the repository, just not referenced anymore. It also mentions that there are / were plans to distinguish a "user" delete and an "administrative" delete, maybe even on a separate admin API. Do you know anything about it?

We are worried about the repository growing too much, and currently we have many attachments that could be purged without any auditing problems. If that was possible, at least.

Thanks,
Claudio Neves

Comments
Eric Jodet commented Feb 01 '13, 7:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Claudio,
this action was implemented by Delete link objects when deleting an attachment (129790)
As far as I can see, only (all) links are deleted - the attachment remains in the repo.

I guess that definitively removing attachments from the repo will come with Define some extensible notion of an 'attachment' and provide a management UI for attachmenents across all products. (210880)

Thanks.
Eric.

vishnudharan manivannan commented Jan 09 '14, 8:39 a.m.

Hi Eric,

What if the attachment is available in the links tab of the WI ,however still shows for clients as below ?

Note : This behaviour is not for all users in the PA.

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jan 17 '13, 10:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC behaves as designed.

In RTC, we have a 'delete attachment' action, which is different from the 'remove attachment' action.
The delete attachment action is in the Eclipse client, in the context menu of the attachment part.
As it is a operation that should only be performed by administrators. In general we have to policy to not delete resource for auditability and traceability reasons.
Also an attachment can be referenced by more than one work item and also the attachment URL is usable from any application.

I verified the behavior: removed attachment are still visible in the history (expected).
Deleted attachments can not be retrieved.

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Apr 17 '13, 11:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also, https://jazz.net/forum/questions/61348/remove-vs-delete-attachment-some-findings-and-a-question provides a way to delete an attachment after it has already been removed from a work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.