It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why can I deliver another developer's change set and update another developer's work item?

mark byrd (14712330) | asked Jan 16 '13, 8:13 a.m.
I was surprised to find that I can deliver/suspend/etc another developer's change set and update another developer's work item. Each developer has team config permissions for change sets and work items, but I thought that was for their own change sets and work items. Are their other permissions that can restrict developers to their own stuff? Is this a team issue (the developers are on the same team)?

One answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 16 '13, 9:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Regarding the source control part, flowing change sets between workspaces is important when sharing code and moving changes around. A release engineer would likely be delivering and accepting change sets that was created by another developer. Plus, your own workspace is completely configurable with whatever changes that you want so I would expect that you can suspend/discard/accept change sets. For deliver, it is based on a permission to deliver to the stream but there isn't anything preventing users delivering someone else's change set. It's assumed that a user has permission to deliver to a stream because the user is trusted to deliver good code or is delivering on behalf of another developer that needed a review or isn't trusted enough.

Unfortunately, what you're asking isn't provided out of the box. If you really need a permission to prevent users delivering another user's change set, you'll have to open an enhancement. Or, one idea is to create an advisor to do this check to prevent this action.

As for the work items, perhaps someone else with more knowledge about the work item configuration can comment on whether what you want is possible.

Comments
mark byrd commented Jan 16 '13, 2:35 p.m.

Thanks for responding. We are currently using some of the "canned" process customizations to require approvals for delivery, to require change set association to a work item, etc.  We have not yet done a customization (advisor)  that requires us to write our own code, but I have read (https://jazz.net/library/article/495) about how it's done. I'm guessing the work item part of my question will also take the advisor route, but will wait to see what responses I get. Thanks again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.