It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

context sensitive help for customer developed workitems

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Jan 15 '13, 9:33 a.m.
we have developed some extensions to Defect,and created our our workitems.

we are in need of some context sensitive help, which is typical for a client application, open a window off to the side and present the content, which has search, formatting, etc..

the only jazz.net thing I found was posted in 2008, and nothing was available then. I think nothing has changed, but need to verify.

thanks

sam

Comments
Mike Pawlowski commented Jan 15 '13, 2:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Sam,

Are you referring to the Web Client (in a web browser) or the Eclipse Rich Client? Assuming the latter.

Thanks,

sam detweiler commented Jan 15 '13, 3:47 p.m.

For Both UIs

Kevin Wenz commented Oct 22 '15, 2:26 a.m. | edited Oct 22 '15, 3:29 p.m.

I've seen the enhancement request including the mention that it's not possible to add context help to workitems.
But that's nearly three years back. Did in the meantime anybody find a solution? Or maybe a workaround...

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 15 '13, 6:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A similar request (for a way to provide some extended help/explanation for custom fields) came up recently and I just searched jazz.net and did not find anything pending that sounds like what you want.

Do you want to open an Enhancement where we can discuss what makes sense and how it should work? If not, I'm happy to and I'll post a link here so you can add your comments.

The only thing I can think of that is currently available is to add a Description to the Editor Presentation and this will appear in a hover for the label. But there is no formatting available so it is limited to a relatively short string. Hmm, if it were possible to embed a link in that Description...

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 15 '13, 7:08 p.m.

I'll open the enhancement.

yes, hover is only slightly usable.

we have 22 defect classification codes, down from over 100.. but that reduction means that some are reused.. I need a small doc to explain what means what..  unordered list, indentation, highlights, links to other material, etc..  so hover won't do it.

I don't want to write code.. I want to write doc, and have it linked to my UI elements.. F1 opens.. same stuff as we all have been doing since the 80's.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 15 '13, 8:39 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks, Sam. Please post the work item number/link back here so others who find this conversation can add their opinions. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.