It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When do assets go into submitted state?

Manjiri Kamat (5132325) | asked Jan 11 '13, 5:54 a.m.
An asset can go into submitted state only if the community uses the default lifecycle right?

I have the below scenario in which i believe the asset should go into approved but it remains in submitted.

1)Community has implicit asset lifecycle
2)Create an asset in it,it is in submitted state
3)I move this asset to another community which also has default lifecycle,the asset remains in submitted
4)For the original community i configure a lifecycle
5)Move the asset back to the original community,it still remains in submitted and does not pick up the new lifecycle.

I assumed that it would pick up the new lifecycle and go into approved.

Can you tell me if i am missing any configuration change here?

RAM version :7511

One answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jan 11 '13, 12:16 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It won't change states until you tell it to. The change states only occur on a configured manual action (i.e. someone selected the dropdown action to change state) or upon update of an asset if there is an automatic state change configured according to certain criteria and those criteria are met.

For example of an automatic transfer would be on a transition between the submitted state and another state if you configured that policy must run and the policy must return success then the transition will be taken upon update of the asset.

If the transition is only configured for manual action (which is the default) then it is required that someone explicitly does the action or it will in the state.

Lifecycles have a workflow defined for them. It is the workflow that defines what states are available. There are a  limited number of workflows available. Multiple lifecycles can share the same workflow.

So if you created a new lifecycle in original community but is based on the same workflow that implicit is based upon then when you move the asset back into the community (assuming that the new lifecycle is a better match then the implicit lifecycle) it won't change state unless you have an automatic transition from submitted to another state configured.

Also you must configure lifecycle match conditions and priorities. If the implicit lifecycle is listed first in the list of lifecycles for a community and there are no restrictions (conditions) placed on the usage of the implicit lifecycle (such as asset type) then the implicit lifecycle would always be the best match lifecycle and an asset would never move to any of the other lifecycles.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.