It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workspace with components from RTC servers with different version

Randy Lei (3355) | asked Jan 10 '13, 11:17 a.m.
We're upgrading our RTC server to version 4.0.1, however, one of the component we need in our workspaces is from a different RTC server/repository which is still on version 3.0.1.

When adding the component from RTC 3.0.1 into the workspace created on the 4.0.1 server, the following error was encountered,

The requested service version 4 does not match the expected version 3 for server

Is this a known limitation? Is there somewhere I can find more such limitations (mixed RTC server version)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 10 '13, 2:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The article on distributed has a pending update to state that distributed SCM in an N-1 scenario is not supported. You'll have to upgrade your 3.x server to 4.x before you can perform distributed operations between the servers.
Randy Lei selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Randy Lei commented Jan 11 '13, 10:55 a.m.

Thanks for the link and reply.

One other answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 10 '13, 1:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
AFAIK, the only mixing we support is for older clients with newer servers (generally referred to as "N-1 compatibility"). This allows you to upgrade the server to a newer version and the clients can follow as needed or when they are ready.

Have you tried _not_ upgrading your clients at this time? While there may be some restrictions (i.e., an N-1 client will not have access to newer server features) you should be able to have a 3.0.1 client that can connect to both 3.0.1 and 4.0.1 servers.

Comments
Randy Lei commented Jan 10 '13, 2:18 p.m.

Thanks for the input, I was still using the old client (version 3.0.4 plugin for Eclipse). I think problem here is that the component on the version 3 repository can't be loaded in the workspace created on version 4 repository.

To be clear, here is what I did, all on the old version 3 client,
- create a workspace on the version 4 repository,
- adding a couple components into the new workspace from the same version 4 repository,
- try adding a component from a version 3 repository <-- failed

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.