It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

License ETL in RTC 4.0.1 Not Doing Anything

Arun Batra (14612427) | asked Jan 10 '13, 8:27 a.m.
The new and noteworthy section of RTC 4.0.1  mentions the following about ETL jobs:

Data warehouse ETL changes

These data warehouse ETLs were added:

• Repository: Stores statistics and counters about the Jazz repository
  • License: Stores the licensing statistics
  • APT: Stores team capacity data for both project and team areas
I was looking forward to this feature of storing license details in the database. After performing the upgrade to this new version, I am not able see the any data (using BIRT). The License Snapshots are still empty as before. Even the live snapshot has some tables which should contain license assignment stats but even those are empty.
Question 1: Where can this data be found?
As we can see that this is an enhancement of RTC alone. I went to the "Reports" section of RTC and tried to run the "License" ETL job and then all the jobs. Then I went over to the "Data Collection Job Status". I am able to see the SCM, Build, Work items, APT, Repository, Common jobs successfully performed in Jobs status. But there is no listing of the "License" job.
Question 2: What can be the problem here?

Note: We are using RTC 4.0 Licenses with the RTC 4.0.1 server. (They work fine..)
Could this be the cause of the issue?

Any help/hint is appreciated..

Looking forward to a response.

One answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jan 11 '13, 8:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The License snapshot only runs in the JTS and it runs on its own schedule every hour. Prior to 4.0.1, the same data was collected and stored in the legacy data mart. Starting 4.0.1, the data is collected in the shared data warehouse. The data is really internal and is only meant for helping display the Licensing Reports which you can see in the JTS admin pages.

Since the data is internal and since the ETL runs every hour, we chose not show its status since it could clutter the ETL Status page.

Comments
Arun Batra commented Jan 17 '13, 7:45 a.m.

Hi Rafik,

Thank you for the answer. The thing is that RTC currently doesn't provide any mechanism (in BIRT or outside) to access the tool usage data. Some data is provided by the creating a license log using the advance properties but it contains an entry for every action  that uses a license. Even manipulating this data does not provide any data regarding specific tool usage as licenses are given to users according to the actions they perform on the CLM tools and not on the specific tools they access. We were hoping to use the data managed by this ETL to solve this issue.
Question:
How do we access the internal data which is used by RTC internally to create the license usage report? Java APIs? Which Table in the Database? Anywhere...

The graph created by the report can't be manipulated outside by copying it as it is an image. Pretty useless.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.