It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does a link created from a requirement in RRC to a work item in RTC not work properly?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Jan 09 '13, 6:51 a.m.
Hello,

I am using RRC and RTC 3.0.1.1 and the project areas are together in a lifecycle project.

When I try to create a link from a requirement in RRC to an RTC work item it only works one way.  The link is created in the the requirement, but I get the message "The link from the other server could not be created." which means that it is only one way.  When I follow the link into the RTC work item the link is not present.  If I add the link manually it works no problem.

Also, if I create the link from an RTC work item to an RRC requirement it works.

Why can the reverse link not be established from RRC?

Best regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | answered Jan 10 '13, 5:00 a.m.
Hello again Ralph,

The error turned out to be:

3. Made changes to the process configuration and didn't synchronise the attributes of the work item that I was using to create the link towards.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Andrew
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 10 '13, 5:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Andrew, thanks for letting us know. It puzzles me how that effect could have happened, but I am glad you can work again.

3 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 09 '13, 9:00 a.m.
Andrew, if it does not work in one certain direction, I think it could have the following reasons.
  1. some defect i am not aware of
  2. Failed application registration or missing friend relationship. For example RRC trusts RTC, but in the other way around there is no relationship.

Are there any error message in the RTC or the RRC log files?

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 09 '13, 10:29 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for this feedback.

Where can I check the application registration or missing friend relationship?  All of the applications are running on the same application server and so I have not created any friends.

RTC and RRC logs look fine.

Regards,

Andrew

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jan 09 '13, 9:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I generally use the embedded CLM Test Application to validate such scenario
See: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/L3/CLMTestApp

Agree with Ralph's comment - likely #2 (if we have a failure)
If no failure, please note that not all link creation automatically create backlink (not all links are bi-directional)

Thanks

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 09 '13, 10:40 a.m.

Thanks for the link.I wasn't aware of that tool.

Andrew Trobec commented Jan 09 '13, 10:48 a.m.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your response.

I went to the link and did:

1. clicked "Requirements Picker" under the "Linked Projects" section and selected a requirement (one that has no links)
2. under the "Picked Resources" section I clicked the "Examine" button located next to the requirement I chose in step 1
3. from the new tab I set the "Resource type" as "Requirement"
4. I clicked the "Load" button
5. I clicked the "Run Tests" button
The "Testing add and remove for property implementedBy." test runs without failure.
The "Testing revert for property implementedBy." produces the error "FAILURE: Wrong number of links after revert: 1 expected , is 0" but I'm not sure what it means.

Did I follow the document correctly?

Regards,

Andrew

Eric Jodet commented Jan 10 '13, 12:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Andrew,
I would use the Test App to "mimic" the operation you are trying to exercise.
(create a link from a requirement in RRC to an RTC work item)
In this case, I would select the following params

Andrew Trobec commented Jan 10 '13, 4:33 a.m.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for the clarifications.  I did as instructed:

I clicked on "Create" and the log produced the following output:

When I open the RRC requirement the link is present.  When I open the RTC work item, the link is not present.

I am using a custom work item that I created to perform the linking.  I tried a different custom work item and it worked without error, so I am beginning to think it may have something to do with that specific work item.  Do you have any feedback that may help me to narrow my focus?

Just to re-iterate, the linking works without issues if I create the link from RTC to RRC.  Only RRC to RTC is one way...

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Andrew Trobec commented Jan 10 '13, 4:58 a.m.

Hello again,

After discovering the fact that it was only a specific work item type I ran some tests.  I think it may have been the fact that I changed the work item structure and did not synchronise the existing work items.  The linking worked after creating a new work item.

I then synchronised the attributes of an existing work item that wouldn't work and re-created the link.  It worked.

Thank you for your support Eric.

Best regards,

Andrew

permanent link
Nicolae Cacior-Salistean (1) | answered Sep 05 '13, 4:29 a.m.
RTC and RRC logs look fine.
Problem still present.
Any other solution found ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.