It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Command Line - RTC 4.0

Dan Evans (392810) | asked Jan 09 '13, 6:19 a.m.
 Hi,

We are implementing RTC 4.0 and we have a number of constraints (security and infrastructure).

We are hoping that the developers can use RTC to do their building and workspaces on an AIX server (no IDE just the web gui).  We are using the Change Management side of RTC as well so will they be able to use the web gui and the command line to do their work or must they have the eclipse IDE to combine both sides of RTC to be able to work.

Many thanks,

Dan.

2 answers

permanent link
Andrew Hoo (1.0k1) | answered Jan 09 '13, 9:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Web UI + Command Line is a use case that RTC developers have made a conscious effort to cover common workflows - but without knowing much more of your process I can't say for sure if there are holes in specific use cases that you may have.

So my short answer is "yes, you should be able to do most things with just the CLI + Web and No, Eclipse is not a necessary requirement to do work".

To clarify for my long-winded answer - I am not sure what you mean exactly by "do their building and workspaces on an AIX server".

1) By building, do you mean launching RTC Build definitions? That can be done via the web.

2.i) have never used AIX - so maybe my next paragraph will make no sense but... from my understanding I have some ideas with caveats:

2.ii) By building (and workspaces), especially when Eclipse is in mention... do you mean java compilation of source loaded on disk? (Because sometimes we think of Eclipse as only a java IDE...) ... and when you say AIX server, what do you really mean...? The CLI and Web are "clients". Would your loaded source and CLI client be on an AIX machine? By the context of your question it sounds like when you say "AIX Server", it means your "client" is a "remote machine that is AIX and therefore hard to run Eclipse". If that's the case, (and to contrast, we could say these clients on an AIX "server" could be talking to an RTC "Server" which happens to be running on Windows...), then I think you already have a way to log into your AIX (in order to run your CLI) and so you should be able to use whatever other local tools you want to do your local compilation ("building").

3) I'm not sure what you mean by "Eclipse IDE to combine both sides of RTC". What are the two sides?

3.a) If the sides are server vs client, then No, eclipse should not be required. Your server is whatever your webapp container is and your client(s) is your CLI + Web

3.b) If the sides are CLI vs Web, then No, eclipse should not be required - except for if you have some workflow that we have not thought of that happens to be feature rich in Eclipse but didn't get covered by the other clients.You would have name something more specific for us to check.

3b) If the sides are "Change Management side of RTC" vs something else... then maybe I'm just getting confused with terminology. I usually think of RTC is the "Change Management"(ccm) side of Jazz(jts), and there are the other jazz family products (Requirements Composer, Quality Manager)... and I know less about this family of integration to make a helpful comment.

Comments
Dan Evans commented Jan 14 '13, 12:47 p.m.

I will try to explain better.

We are pretty much a C development shop with little or no Java.

At present our developers work on the command line in AIX UNIX to write and build code.  We are looking at bringing in RTC as part of the Change Management (Work Items) and Configuration Management (Version Control) (the two major parts of RTC).

My question is from the UNIX command line alone will the developers be able to use the version control (general remote server) with no gui capability. Then be able to access all the Task(Change) Management from a Web Gui client.  Both the Web GUI client and the AIX command line client access the same RTC server.

Can you associate Tasks(Changes/workflows) with change sets in the developers workspace just using the AIX command line RTC client and then follow use the web gui in conjunction to processing workflows.

Thank you for the responses so far.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 09 '13, 8:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 09 '13, 8:47 a.m.
Hi Dan, from https://jazz.net/library/article/811#mozTocId516102 I assume you can use the SCM command line on AIX with 4.0. I think I remember running Firefox on AIX, so I would assume  you could use that for the CM part. The SCM Web UI is currently not able to load several files at once as far as I know, so SCM command line would probably be more usable.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.