It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to include / display traceability matrix inside the Module?

Mirek Rzadkowski (46285) | asked Jan 08 '13, 6:30 p.m.
retagged Jan 28 '13, 2:14 p.m. by Douglas Bush (28125)
When authoring requirements in Modules, i can choose to create separate modules for high level requirements, then low level / detailed requirements, etc. and  while going through this authoring I can establish traceability between artefacts. 

I would like to be able to present this traceability in the module itself. For example, in the detailed requirements module I'm writing, I'd like to insert a matrix or a table showing what high level requirements are and how they are linked to the detailed requirements. 

I do not seem to see how that would be possible to do. Have you got any ideas?

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jan 08 '13, 8:25 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I just went through the process of printing a module with two extra columns (Priority attribute and Satisfies link relationships) -- just to remind myself exactly how it works in 4.0.1.

If you print a module (icon in the upper left -- same row as the edit button) not the icon row below that) you can choose either book or table layout (as well as output file type).  If you choose table layout the additional fields will be shown.  If you choose book layout, only the main content of the module is shown.

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Jan 08 '13, 8:25 p.m.

sorry: upper right, not upper left. 

Mirek Rzadkowski commented Jan 09 '13, 2:41 a.m.

Hi Daniel, that would be a very desired outcome if the book layout printed the artefact with all the columns (including the traceability) -- this is what my users want. As I remember, it's what I tried (not the table layout print). I could see it on the screen properly displayed in the module but not in the print. I do not have an RRC 4.0.1 instance to try right now but I will ask the customer to run through the two scenarios to try them.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jan 08 '13, 7:11 p.m.
  Here are two ideas ...
  1. Create a link column that shows (for each row) all links of a particular relationship type, e.g., a high-level requirement is "satisfied by" a lower-level one.  This will provide the traceability "in the module" but not summarized in a table in one row of the module. It has the advantage of being dynamic -- as data changes (new artifacts, new links) it will remain accurate.
  2. Use the graphical link explorer to view the trace relationships, create a screen shot, and upload that as an artifact.  Include it in one of the artifacts in the module.  It will show up in one row, but it's static--as soon as the data changes (new artifacts, new links) it will be out of date.

Comments
Mirek Rzadkowski commented Jan 08 '13, 7:28 p.m.

Great ideas ... I have considered them both already.

The "dynamic one" is a lot more attractive as it always represents the current state. 

Somehow I was not able to print the Module to include the (traceability) link in the printout. The end user's need is to produce a document style printed document, and the Module style of capturing the requirements is therefore very attractive as it looks like a fleshed out document. When printed, this will not show up. Did I do something incorrectly with setting up the column?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.