It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating from Another SCM System

N. Dot (1321115) | asked Jan 03 '13, 2:58 p.m.
retagged Jan 11 '13, 2:09 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
I looking for steps/documentation/best practices in regard to migrating from one source control system to RTC's SCM system.  I have seen the link below which is specific to MS.  However, I was looking for similar info for eClipse.  Also, are there any specific concerns when migrating from StarTeam?

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc/topics/t_migrate_from_scm_to_jazz.html

Thank you!

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 03 '13, 4:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that the topic referenced in the question is just about what you need to adjust in Visual Studio *after* you have migrated your version data into RTC SCM ... it doesn't help you actually do the data migration from one source control system to another.

If you don't need version history, and if you don't need to import multiple branches of the same code base, then it is easy to migrate ... just load the tip of the branch you want to import into the file system, and then "share" that file system tree into RTC SCM.

If you want history, then it gets harder.   RTC currently only has two built-in "history importers" ... from Subversion and from ClearCase.   If you want to import history from some other SCM system, then one approach is to do it as a two phase process ... first import from the other system into either Subversion or ClearCase, and then import from there into RTC.   Since Subversion and ClearCase are two of the most commonly used SCM system, there is a reasonable chance that you can find a history importer from the other SCM system to one of those.   If that is not the case, then you'll need to script the import yourself.

Comments
N. Dot commented Jan 04 '13, 9:12 a.m.

OK Geoff, I give.  I have looked all over the place over the past few months for documentation about how to populate a RTC SCM repository.  I know that it is not difficult and I have managed to do it in the past.  However, I can not find I link that I can reference as needed.  Please help.

BTW, thank you for your previous response!

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 05 '13, 2:17 a.m.

RTC SCM uses the term "share" to refer to putting files under source control.
One way to "share" a directory tree is through the RTC scm command line tool.  See https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/share.html

If you have the files loaded into Eclipse as an Eclipse project,  you can use the "team -> share" operation on the Eclipse project to put those files under RTC source control.  See: https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_sharing_projects.html

Note: You can load an arbitrary directory tree into an Eclipse project with the "import -> general -> file_system"  operation. 

N. Dot commented Jan 07 '13, 7:11 p.m.

so what is there documentation on how to load share files if you want to add them to an Eclipse project?

N. Dot commented Jan 07 '13, 7:14 p.m.

The procedure that I have followed in the past is something like this. But I can't find this documented anywhere.:

1. Load the component into your Eclipse workspace (sandbox).
  2. Click Browse the components to select the folders to be loaded.
  3. Select the component to be loaded. An empty folder with the same name is created in the specified sandbox.
  4. Expand Advanced Options, and click to load folders but do not create Eclipse projects.
  5. In this course, you will store simple file system objects in this component, not Eclipse project files.
  6. An empty folder is in our sandbox with the same name as the loaded component.
  7. Populate the component folder in the sandbox with the files and folders to add to source control.
  8. Refresh the Pending Changes view in the Eclipse client to see the changes from the sandbox.
  9. Click Check-in and Deliver to place the set of unresolved changes into source control.
  10. To associate this set of changes with a work item, click Next. Otherwise, enter a comment to describe this set of changes.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 07 '13, 9:32 p.m.

Yes, the procedure in the immediately preceding comment is fine.
It consists of:
- the "load workspace" use case, followed by the
- creating new files and folders use case (standard Eclipse use case ... does not involve RTC), and then
- checkin unresolved files use case.

David Castellanos commented Jan 07 '13, 10:35 p.m.

N. Dot, you might find the following article useful: https://jazz.net/library/article/1016 (Loading Content from a Jazz Source Control Repository in Rational Team Concert 4.0)

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 03 '13, 3:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 03 '13, 3:59 p.m.
https://jazz.net/library/article/650 - Importing data from Subversion and CVS into Jazz Source Control

If you can get your data into CVS or SVN, you can use the SVN importer from the Eclipse client. Check the article for details.

As for StarTeam specifically, there isn't any documentation about migrating from it. Somebody else might have insight about the process.

For setting up with SCM, you'll want to think about the components to create for your source code. You can take a look at the articles in the library to get an idea of how SCM works and give you ideas of how you want to organize your source code in SCM.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.