It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto calculate the time remaining field?

Merav Etzyon (71012) | asked Jan 03 '13, 4:38 a.m.
 Hello
we want to use the time remaining field. 
i want it to be automatically calculated from the estimated time field. 
how can this be done?

Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 03 '13, 4:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
While Lauren is correct that you can use script customization, can you say more about what you want to do? If you are using the Scrum template, you can track progress using either Time Remaining or Time Spent -- which have you configured? There aren't really two different fields -- Time Spent is the only built-in attribute (and it is treated as Time Remaining when you configure your Planning to track progress as time remaining).

In "classic" Scrum, teams track progress by updating the Time Remaining field (not entering time spent). So you wouldn't normally calculate time remaining -- the work item owner will decide how much effort remains and update the field (hopefully daily). Some people aren't happy with this approach as time spent becomes invisible -- something can sit at "4 hours remaining" for days.

To calculate time remaining (as you indicate you want to), I would expect you need an Estimate and Time Spent and then you would calculate Time Remaining based on that. I'm pretty sure RTC does this calculation for you if you track progress as Time Spent (though it does not actually present the calculation results). But as I mentioned above both fields do not exist out of the box. You could add a custom Time Remaining field if you want to do this calculation and present it, but I'd be careful to configure your process to track Time Spent in that case and set Time Remaining as a read-only field (that is only updated by the script -- this is standard practice for calculated values).

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 03 '13, 6:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
You can use calculated values for time calculations.  https://jazz.net/library/article/1003/#attributecustomization has more information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.