It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Feeds to expose RTC data external systems?

Rui Shen (51103) | asked Nov 03 '08, 2:29 a.m.
I heard that RTC provides feeds which could expose RTC data to external sytems? Is that true? Where can I find the related resources about this?

My requirement is that I want to query some work item data(defect data) on another machine (different from RTC server) remotely, so I:
1) either use RTC SDK to get those data (I am investigating this way, not sure it can meet my requirement)
2) or via feeds, the parse the feed content. (I heard that RTC could provide this way, so need to confirm this)

Anyone could answer me? Thanks!

7 answers

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Nov 05 '08, 5:10 a.m.
Yes, there is various feeds to access RTC data, for instance:

- changes to plans
- changes to work items
- events from a user
- events from a team area
- events from a project area
- query results
- build results

You can create those feeds from the RTC client easily, e.g. in team artifacts:

- rightclick on a artifact (user, plan, query, team area) to create a new feed
- join a project area an be automatically subscribed to changes in this project

You can read these feeds outside the client, but keep this in mind:
- the feed requires authentication. if the server is configured to form-based authentication (as opposed to basic authentication), some 3d party readers might fail to response the authentication challenge
- sometimes a variable ${user} is used to identify the current logged in user, make sure to replace this with the userid of the user you want to use the feed with.

Hope that helps, otherwise please post more questions on this topic here.
Ben

permanent link
Rui Shen (51103) | answered Nov 06 '08, 3:24 a.m.
Thank you very much! I need some time to investigate what you said. Will raise more questions if I have encountered problems, :).

Yes, there is various feeds to access RTC data, for instance:

- changes to plans
- changes to work items
- events from a user
- events from a team area
- events from a project area
- query results
- build results

You can create those feeds from the RTC client easily, e.g. in team artifacts:

- rightclick on a artifact (user, plan, query, team area) to create a new feed
- join a project area an be automatically subscribed to changes in this project

You can read these feeds outside the client, but keep this in mind:
- the feed requires authentication. if the server is configured to form-based authentication (as opposed to basic authentication), some 3d party readers might fail to response the authentication challenge
- sometimes a variable ${user} is used to identify the current logged in user, make sure to replace this with the userid of the user you want to use the feed with.

Hope that helps, otherwise please post more questions on this topic here.
Ben

permanent link
Rui Shen (51103) | answered Nov 07 '08, 4:57 a.m.
hi bpasero, currently I am able to get a feed for all my closed defects. Now the feed content contains tons of content for one defect (all fields for a defect and all change history for the defect), but actually I only need to get the defect(workitem) id. May I customize the output workitem fields somewhere (this can decrease the network throughput)?

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Nov 10 '08, 4:20 a.m.
Yes, the news items for the feed are containing quite some extra fields that RTC needs to properly display the items. Those extra items all use their own custom namespace and are not interfering with the standard feed spec.

From what I know, the contents of the feed can not be changed in a way to reduce the number of fields, but its possible to add other fields. The work item ID is always part of the <link> element.

Of course, you could always create your own plugin to provide a feed from RTC. The mechanism is extensible. Not sure if you want to go this route though.

permanent link
Rui Shen (51103) | answered Nov 10 '08, 6:19 a.m.
Okay, I see. Thanks!

Yes, the news items for the feed are containing quite some extra fields that RTC needs to properly display the items. Those extra items all use their own custom namespace and are not interfering with the standard feed spec.

From what I know, the contents of the feed can not be changed in a way to reduce the number of fields, but its possible to add other fields. The work item ID is always part of the <link> element.

Of course, you could always create your own plugin to provide a feed from RTC. The mechanism is extensible. Not sure if you want to go this route though.

permanent link
alan kemp (6185) | answered Jun 26 '09, 2:39 p.m.

an internal feed plugin is an interesting idea .. are there any examples out there on how to do this? thanks. 8)

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Jul 06 '09, 5:35 a.m.
gonesail wrote:
bpaserowrote:
Of course, you could always create your own plugin to provide a feed
from RTC. The mechanism is extensible. Not sure if you want to go
this route though.

an internal feed plugin is an interesting idea .. are there any
examples out there on how to do this? thanks. 8)

There is no tutorial that I am aware of, but looking at IFeedItemQuery
in com.ibm.team.repository.service plugin is a good start.

--
Benjamin Pasero
Work Item & UI Commons Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.