It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Possible to include additional work item info when linking a work item in comments?

Scott Chapman (3216547) | asked Dec 19 '12, 11:31 a.m.
 When writing  a description or comments for a work item, I know one can link another work item by just using something like "work item <number>".

Is it possible to extract any information from that to include in the refering work item?

I thought I had seen what the notation was, but am unable to find it...

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 20 '12, 12:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "extract information from that to include in the referring work item"?

Arne Bister commented Dec 20 '12, 1:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Scott, if you mean to display attribute values of the linked work item in a comment, even if there is a notation for this I don't think you would be happy:
The attribute value would be rendered once in the comment ; if the linked work item changed, this would not be reflected in the (immutable) comment text.

What makes the hover info displayed for the linked work item not work for your use case?

Scott Chapman commented Dec 20 '12, 1:19 p.m. | edited Dec 20 '12, 1:47 p.m.

Sorry, I thought there was a mechanism to extract specific properties of the referenced work item (for example to include the headline from the work item).

Not asking for a new feature, just thought I recall seeing that somewhere in the documentation...

If not, please close.

John Riendeau commented Dec 20 '12, 2:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Though this doesn't help the general case, nor get around the immutable-comment-text issue that Arne mentions above, when I'm linking from one work item to another in the comments, and the headline of the target work item would give useful context, I do the following in the Eclipse client:

Open the target work item. Click the down arrow next to the defect number at the very top, and choose "copy ID and summary" from the menu.
Paste into the comments section of the other defect.  You'll get a link that includes the summary and the work item number.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 20 '12, 1:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is currently no way that I'm aware of to extract information from the work item and embed it in the comment text.  But you will be able to see additional information in the "hover" that appears in many clients when you hold your mouse over that work item reference.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.