It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reference to parent disappears in Query in 4.0.1.

Kor Meelker (38236) | asked Dec 13 '12, 8:06 a.m.
It looks that the web query editor is loosing the reference to the parent in its condtions. 

I have build a query where I want to have all tasks from 1 story. To make this happen I use "Parent.id" in my condition. Save en Run give me the wanted results. But if I want to edit the conditions, the reference to parent is lost and my conditions only show "id". 

This only happens in the web-interface, the client-interface is working fine. 

Furthermore I see that the query is showing the internal value (priority.literal.l01 O0000A@) for Rank and not the external value (216).

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Kor

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 13 '12, 10:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Web Query Editor is very aggressive about removing conditions when they don't affect the results. It doesn't warn you or ask, it just figures out that a condition is not needed (based on the other conditions) and removes it. As you noticed, the Eclipse client does not do this. As long as you are getting the correct results, this is as-designed.

Can you provide some more information about how to reproduce the other part of your question?

Comments
Kor Meelker commented Dec 18 '12, 10:07 a.m.

Okay, the web query editor is aggressive about removing conditions. But in this case it is a bit to much aggressive. There is a big diverence between id and parent.id. And because the reference to parent is removed, the result of the query is totaly different.

query with parent condition in client editor
 Condition with parent.id in client query editor.

web query editor
Same query in the web query editor (edit mode). 

Regarding the second part of my question. At the first screen capture you can see also the results of the query. The column on the right is showing the rank (not the external value, but the internal value).

Kor

Michael Leithner commented Jan 31 '13, 8:21 a.m.

we noticed exactly the same problem.

After creating (and running with correct results) the new query, the Condition "Parent->ID" is changed to "ID" if i save it.

We would like to create this kind of query because of the following:
Some of our developers wanted to check all workitems, that are childs of another workitem (have a parent).

But there are a few other enhancenments, as i have seen:
- we would like to sort the displayed results for a query by Parents asc/desc  as it works for example for the id.
- create queries with individual attributes

these enhancements are already filed in this post

As long as there are currently no solution, are there any ideas for a workaround?
Or is there something completely wrong with the need to get all childworkitems for a certain parent?

Guenter Knauer commented Mar 27 '13, 4:39 a.m. | edited Mar 27 '13, 4:40 a.m.

Millard,
we just migrated to 4.0.1. and observe now the same "Query Editor Optimization" that is destroying our queries with "child-> status" predicate. Because we will have in May the Roll-Out of the ww STG z Problem Tracking System based on RTC we need a workaround asap!
Thanks.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 27 '13, 7:32 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Regarding displaying Rank, I just wouldn't do it. At least in current releases, this field is not meant to be "human readable". I see the internal value in both the web and eclipse UIs. It is unfortunate that it appears in the list for selection.

Also, I'm unable to recreate your issue, at least on 4.0.2. I created queries using both OR (2 parent ids) and AND (single parent id). I created one in the Eclipse client and one in the Web client and ran them in both clients, close and reopened them in both and the condition always says Parent > Id. I even opened them in different browsers to make sure it wasn't cached. Is it possible for you to try in 4.0.2? 4.0.2 is available in the sandbox if you don't want to install locally. Maybe I'm not completely understanding your steps.

@gknauer Since your issue is about child > status not a parent link relationship, would you please open a new question with details describing your issue in more detail.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.