It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to make the setting of Floating License Checkout Order

Yoshihisa Komai (3002422) | asked Dec 11 '12, 11:21 p.m.
When you hover over the "Floating License Checkout Order" property, you will see following description.
-------------------------------
Determines the checkout order of floating license when a condition occurs
where there are more than one candidate available.
The value is a semi-colon delimited mapping of application to license checkout order list.
The ordered list is a comma delimited value which contains the CAL id's.
An example value:
app1=com.ibm.team.rtc.developer,com.ibm.team.rrc.author,com.ibm.rqm.tester;
app2=com.ibm.team.rrc.author,com.ibm.team.rtc.developer,com.ibm.rqm.tester;
app3=com.ibm.rqm.tester,com.ibm.team.rtc.developer,com.ibm.team.rrc.author
-------------------------------

But it is not understandable.
Could anyone show me the example of the setting?
I want to make the setting as follows.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------
"Rational Team Concert - Developer-Floating", "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" and "Rational Team Concert - Stakeholder-Floating" are assigned to a user.
First, when the user does an action which requires license, "Rational Team Concert - Developer-Floating" should be checked out.
If all "Rational Team Concert - Developer-Floating" are already checked out, "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" should be checked out.
If all "Rational Team Concert - Developer-Floating" and all "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" are already checked out, "Rational Team Concert - Stakeholder-Floating" should be checked out.
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------

It is also addressed in https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=229549

2 answers

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378108) | answered Apr 03 '13, 9:55 a.m.
Hi Yoshihisa,

we are testing with those settings, so here our experiences:
The value looks like
qm=com.ibm.rqm.tester.floating,com.ibm.rqm.qualityprofessional.token

qm is the application name you'll find in "Registered applications", this should be ccm for RTC if I'am correct.
Just have a look.

The order of the license types say:
Use RQM Floating first, if those are checkedout, use tokens.

The next step I'll test is to use Change Management Licenses before using rqm licenses for apllication ccm.
We want to achive to use the cheapest license for an action, so in your environment should be the order
Stakeholder, Contributer,Developer
If someone logs in, just for accessing dash-boards or so, the Contributer license is checkoud out.
Start the user editing WorkItems, it should switch to the developer.

This is my theory, confirmed by IBM support, but I'll have to test.

The critical point for me is to get the correct com.ibm... - string for the licenses.

greetings georg.

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Apr 03 '13, 10:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

One way of finding the license ID for your licenses is to visit the Client Access License Management page (https://host:9443/jts/admin#action=com.ibm.team.repository.manageUserCALs) which you can get to from the JTS Server Administration by choosing Users > Client Access License Management.

Choose a license from the drop-down and you'll see the URL in your browser's address bar change. The licenseType parameter is your license ID.

Bo Chulindra commented Apr 03 '13, 11:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Plus another way is to run repotools -listLicenses.

Georg Kellner commented Apr 03 '13, 11:50 a.m.

I love this easy administration job for Jazz systems. :-D

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Apr 03 '13, 10:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 03 '13, 10:59 a.m.
Do you know this article? It explains some stuff in the area...

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Apr 03 '13, 11:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Unfortunately that article doesn't explain the Floating License Checkout Order property and how to use it. The property was provided as part of The requesting application should be used as a hint to guess the correct CAL to acquire when multiple CALs allow the same operation (204792). It allows users to specify their own checkout order.

It was never meant to be widely used so there isn't much documentation on how to use it. See Improve Floating License Checkout Order description (229549).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.