It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practice for work items for customization and upgrades.

Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | asked Dec 11 '12, 12:28 p.m.
All,

In ClearQuest, I would create a schema, I would then add "packages"(if needed) and begin customization. When upgrades of ClearQuest came, I was given the option to upgrade the packages, but my fields were never an issue.

In RTC, are people customizing the out-of-the-box templates, or creating their own first as a copy of the predefined ones? If you have two SCRUM teams that need a new field, is it best to just create a copy of the out of box and begin there? If not, when an upgrade comes with an enhancement in the template, what happens?

Are you all creating copies of things like "com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType" first, and then customizing it? If not, has an upgrade ever interfered with your customizations?

thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Dec 13 '12, 2:58 a.m.
edited Dec 13 '12, 3:19 a.m.
There are different things to think about:
  • If you have several project areas and you would like to keep them synchron with all your changes
    you should create a "template project" based on whatever template is near what you need, create all projects as "unconfigured" and select "Use the process configuration from another project area for this project area"
  • I recommend to create a copy of Workflows and Editors. For the Work Item you can extend the existing one. At least we did it that way.
  • ensure to use a clear id e.g com.mycompany.editor.story
  • there is no process upgrade like in clearquest, where you can apply the new version of a package
    Merging XML seams to be the only way today...but be careful

see also my answer in https://jazz.net/forum/questions/87028/can-an-updated-version-of-an-rtc-process-template-be-applied-to-an-existing-project 

and this very good article https://jazz.net/library/article/1002

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 11 '12, 2:33 p.m.
sometimes you modify, sometimes you don't.. we have found that there is built-in behavior based on the ID of some of the process elements.. so you have to be careful (force close of the duplicate only happens if the workflow Id is specific..)

for defect for example, ours is SO different than the base, we made a new one.
for story and epic we kept it and added a few fields..
we added our own for Feature and a couple others.. \

so far (2 times) we have not seen any detrimental effect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.