It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI and Work item Parent / Child linking

Mark Roberts (1205338) | asked Dec 10 '12, 9:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Dec 13 '12, 11:44 a.m. by Kelly Raposo (463)
There are a number of posts on Jazz.net regarding the creation of Parent / Child reports in RRDI. Most simply advise the use of the Request Related Requests table but don't actually advise HOW to do that. Is it possible for someone to generate a simple 'story and it's child tasks / defects' report in RRDI and post it on Jazz.net with some instructions ?

5 answers

permanent link
Abhi Raj (2157) | answered Jan 09 '14, 3:50 a.m.
Excellent work. very useful.

Is there any other similar articles on RRDI / Insight reporting ?

permanent link
James Freeman (161) | answered Jun 03 '13, 2:34 p.m.
The solution is for RTC version 4.0 and above.

Thank you for the detailed explanation too.

v/r

James

permanent link
YOGESH LOKHANDE (10441927) | answered Apr 13 '13, 12:42 p.m.
 i need same about but again like parent child  grandchild relationship report

for Work Item
Parent -> Child ->Child of Child

Comments
Stephane Leroy commented May 03 '13, 10:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

@Yogesh: Mark's recently published article (and sample report) could probably help you in the area. Note that I did not try myself (yet).

Regards,
Stéphane

YOGESH LOKHANDE commented May 20 '13, 8:46 a.m.

Thank you,.....Now I can create  Parent -> Child Report..

for Parent ->>> Child ->> Grand Child report not possible ...

Any way to create such reports 3 level report 

permanent link
Kunal Bajaj (26810) | answered Oct 20 '14, 12:04 p.m.
 Have you seen this? I found it very useful:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/custom-reporting-work-item-relationship/

permanent link
Mark Prout (13411510) | answered Dec 17 '12, 6:36 a.m.
 Hi Mark

I'll document this in more detail and possibly publish on DeveloperWorks.  My preferred way to find and utilize Work Item to Work Item links is use of the 'ODS -> Request Area -> Request Relational Link' folder that is exposed through the default Rational reporting package.

If a CCM project had the following work items in place;
Example Work Item Structure

The 'ODS -> Request Area -> Request' (R) folder provides the following crucial data;
Request DW Data

The 'ODS -> Request Area -> Request Relational Link' (RRL) folder provides the following crucial data;
Request Relational Link

By using Joins it is possible to find parent work item information (Join Link being 'RRL.Request2 ID' -- 'R.Request ID') and then use another Join to bring into the result query the child work item information (Join Link being 'RRL.Request1 ID' -- 'R.Request ID').

I have exported a few sample reports detailing a both the above scenario and also how > 1 level of relationship can be reported upon using the example of 'Epic -> Story -> Task'.  This zip file can be located here.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Comments
Jackie Albert commented Jan 30 '13, 3:03 p.m.

Mark did you ever publish this on DeveloperWorks? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

Mark Prout commented Jan 30 '13, 7:22 p.m.

Hi Jackie, I've just finished a review draft of the article which is being peer reviewed. Fingers crossed it should be ready for publishing on developerWorks soon.  Let me know of you would like a copy for review.

Thanks, Mark

Milan Krivic commented Jan 31 '13, 3:32 a.m.

Hi Jackie, Mark, 

as I posted similar question earlier, I finally figured out how to get top level work item parent from any parent-child level, and also, I was thinking about documenting this stuff. 
I figured out that I can manage with SQL queries directly on DW database using IBM Data Studio tool where I can deploy different stored procedures, user-defined functions etc etc...and simply, build any sql query and deploy it as a DB2 SQL View to Cognos RRDI portal.  
Let me know when this document will be released.

Regards,

James Palmer commented Aug 18 '14, 2:48 p.m.

This was very helpful... However, is there a way to connect the data warehouse data with the links? I really don't care so much if the links changed, but what I want is, based on the current links, can I get trended data of the children compared to the parent?  I know that Agile methodologies is opposed to this, but I have a customer asking for the % complete of stories, based on the child actual work completed, in a burndown type chart.  So, I need to get the monthly totals of the child tasks and factor that against the story points for each story... hope this makes sense and someone can help me tie the data together.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.