It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to query nested Current plans?

Barry Gordon (2334) | asked Dec 06 '12, 8:22 p.m.
I have a similar nested iterations scenario as Question 27273. It looks like:
+TimelineAlpha
+--Iteration1
+----Iteration2
+------Iteration3

Iteration 1 is just for grouping. I have Plans in Iteration2 and Iteration3. Both of these Plans are marked as having a release scheduled. If I set Iteration3 as "Current", then Iteration1 and Iteration2 also get the "Current" pointer due to their lineage.

The Advanced User's Guide to Querying Work Items in Rational Team Concert says when the Planned For variable is set to Current Iteration it means "Starting at all leaf iterations that are set as current in the project area, the Current Iteration variable selects the first ones that have the release scheduled flag set when going up the hierarchy. This corresponds to the iterations that are shown as current in the Work Item Editor."

I interpret that to match the Plan in the Current Iteration and ALL plans up the Iteration ancestry which have the Release Scheduled flag set. But that's not what happens. Only the lowest leaf on the "Current" lineage is matched.

Question 23751 requests a feature to explicitly request the ancestry of the "Current Iteration", but isn't that implied above?

It's interesting that if you chose a specific Iteration in the Planned For query box, you can set the condition to "is part of" which will include the targeted iteration and everything below it.

Bottom line: How do I target ALL of the nested plans/iterations in the "Current" lineage?

2 answers

permanent link
Reddy Sucharit (6) | answered Mar 26 '13, 6:08 p.m.
Hello Barry:

A RFE we submitted based on your following request is now accepted and is a part of the Product Backlog for RTC.

RFE link : http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=31960 .

This is Related to Work Item : Enhancement:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=228834

Comments
Barry Gordon commented Mar 26 '13, 6:34 p.m.

I think you pasted the wrong ID number. The RFE link you listed is for continuing work from one sprint to another. It does not appear to have anything to do with querying nested plans.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 09 '12, 5:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you set the iteration of a plan to the top level Iteration 1, it should show all items for all nested iterations. The same applies if you select the top level project/team are as owner.

Plans hide execution items, so you have to explicitly configure it to show them in the plan details.

As far as I can tell Question 23751 talks about the work item queries and not plans.

If this does not answer your question, I might be missing something and would need more information or a different explanation of your question.

Comments
Barry Gordon commented Jan 10 '13, 8:38 p.m.

Here's a more complete diagram:

• TimelineAlpha
    • Iteration1
      • Iteration2
        • Plan2
        • Iteration3
          • Plan3
Iteration3 is set to Current, and thus Iteration2 and Iteration1 are also Current.
If I look in the Team Artifacts list under Plans>Current Plans, I will see both Plan2 and Plan3 (as expected).
However, If I create a work item query with Type:Story AND Planned For:Current Iteration, then I will ONLY see the stories from Plan3.

If I set the Planned For clause to the static location of Plan2, then I can use the is and is part of setting to return either just Plan2 or Plan2+Plan3, respectively.

My questions are:
  1. Why are only stories from Plan3 returned when Planned For is set to Current Iteration?
  2. How can I include items from both Plan2 and Plan3 without using a static value in Planned For?

sam detweiler commented Mar 27 '13, 7:52 a.m.

Clearly the 'Query' for iteration doesn't use the hierarchy.

Plan uses a different set of code to collect the included workitems.

Barry Gordon commented Apr 23 '13, 4:08 p.m.

So shall I conclude from three months of silence that there's currently no way to query UP a hierarchy of dynamic Current pointers? I'd be very surprised if I'm the only RTC user that's is trying or has ever tried to do this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.