It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Plan mode changes lost when promoting the plan mode

Morten Madsen (3053149) | asked Dec 05 '12, 6:55 a.m.
I'm trying to figure out how to roll out changes to a plan mode to several projects, and I've encountered something that seems like an error. I've found out the following about plan modes so far:

1. If you make a change to an existing plan mode (like "work breakdown") it will become a "local" plan mode. No changes will be done to you process configuration / xml source. If you go to "Plan modes" in your process configuration editor, you plan mode will have a small "person icon" next to it, denoting a local plan mode only visible within this project instance.

2. You can then choose to "promote" your new / modified plan mode by pressing "promote" in the plan mode list. Your plan mode will then get an entry in the process xml (with a unique ID), if it did not exists before. This means that if you paste this process xml into another project, this project will also have this mode. Note that you need to link the plan mode to a plan type in the "plan types" section of the process configuration.

All this seems to work fine. But the problem occur if you again edit an already promoted mode. Then, at first, when your change is local all plans in your project can use this changed mode without problem. If you then promote the mode, then all your changes disappear. I've even tried to un-link and then link the Product Backlog plan type to my plan mode, but nothing works.

Does anybody have an idea whats going on?

ps. RTC v.3.0.1 / Windows / MS SQL.

Comments
Morten Madsen commented Dec 14 '12, 6:08 a.m.

Can anybody verify this? It's pretty easy to test. Just try to change / create a new mode / view, then promote it. Now try to do the same again. As far as I can see, you can only promote a view / mode once.

Morten Madsen commented Dec 20 '12, 4:27 a.m.

Please anybody? I will create a PMR, if I don't get a response. You simple cannot promote a plan mode once it has been promoted the first time. Then no changes can be published anymore.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 20 '12, 12:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, if you do not get the answer you need from the forum, you'll want to work with Rational Support.

Morten Madsen commented Dec 27 '12, 10:28 a.m.

Rational support has been able to reproduce this. I'm waiting for a confirmed defect.

One answer

permanent link
Morten Madsen (3053149) | answered Dec 27 '12, 10:28 a.m.
Seems like a work around for this is to:

1. Create a new plan mode in a testing project
2. Promote this mode to generate new XML.
3. Copy this xml piece ("planmode" tag) to your process template of choice or master project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.