It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

server/conf/jts/indices grows to 7GB, normal?

Frank Ning (50025119133) | asked Dec 02 '12, 4:39 p.m.
retagged Dec 03 '12, 2:27 p.m. by Bo Chulindra (1.3k2718)

Hello,

I did upgrade from 4.0.0.0 to 4.0.0.1 and then 4.0.1.0. I noticed that the <JazzInstallDir>/server/conf/jts/indicies grew bigger and bigger without new projects/artifactes. It possibly grew from ~3GB to 7GB now.

Is this expected? Any way for me to reduce its size (clean it up)?

Thanks and Regards

PS. DB2 V9.7 and WAS 8.0.3 are used.

2 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Dec 02 '12, 11:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Frank.  There are a few ways you can trim the size of the index/database.  The first is to use repotools -deleteJFSResources on archived projects you know you no longer need to remove the data associated with the projects.  This method may require a -reindex as noted in the documentation before you realize any difference in the index size.  The second being repotools -compacttdb to compact the index.  Hope it helps,

Comments
Simon Helsen commented Dec 03 '12, 9:34 a.m.

This doesn't feel right. A migration to 4.0.1 should not have increased the index. In fact, a migration should have kept the index the same since 4.0.0.1 and 4.0.1 indices are compatible (even though this step upgrades the underlying technology). It looks like the size got duplicated, which to me looks like something went wrong in the upgrade process. Frank, under indices/ you should find a number of subdirectories with consumer keys. Do you know/recall how many you had in 4.0 and how many you have now in 4.0.1? There should not be more subdirectories in indices/ than you have registered consumers (in your admin web ui)

Frank Ning commented Dec 03 '12, 11:11 a.m.

Hi Simon,

Sorry, I don't have the records. Do you know if I can delete all the indices and recreate them?

Simon Helsen commented Dec 03 '12, 12:29 p.m.

Frank, there was a bug fixed in 4.0.1 that could have duplicated the index. However, this issue should not be present in the GA. What version of 4.0.1 are you using? Can you point to the download page?

Now, if this is the problem, you could check the following: under conf/jts/indices, do you have a subdirectory indices 'again'? I.e. do you have a set of directories conf/jts/indices/indices? If so, you can simply remove conf/jts/indices/indices because the system will have rebuild the indices under conf/jts/indices in that case.

If this is not the issue and you can keep the server down, you can always completely rebuild the indices by a) removing everything under conf/jts/indices and b) running 2 repotool commands. The first one would be "repotools -reindex all" and the second one would be "repotools -rebuildTextIndices". These two commands should be run while the server is down though.

Simon Helsen commented Dec 03 '12, 1:44 p.m.

After some more communication, it appears the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.0.0.1 may have introduced the subdirectory indices under conf/jts/indices as I explained in my previous comment. Frank, please let me know if there is this subdirectory. The fix is then to simply delete conf/jts/indices/indices and you won't have to run any commands or do anything else. thanks

Frank Ning commented Dec 03 '12, 2:50 p.m.

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot. I do see the indices under indices. I am going to remove everything under indices and rebuild indices with the commands you mentioned.

Frank Ning commented Dec 04 '12, 8:19 a.m.

After the rebuild, the indices came down to 2GB from 7GB. Cheers!

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Frank Ning (50025119133) | answered Dec 04 '12, 8:21 a.m.
  Answer from Simon Helsen is the solution to this issue. I hope Rational can fix the duplication problem and if not, at least document in the upgrade guide.

You can always completely rebuild the indices by a) removing everything under conf/jts/indices and b) running 2 repotool commands. The first one would be "repotools -reindex all" and the second one would be "repotools -rebuildTextIndices". These two commands should be run while the server is down though. 

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Dec 04 '12, 8:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This problem has been fixed in 4.0.1 but is still a problem when upgrading to 4.0.0.1 (and possibly when upgrading to 4.0). I have created a work item to create a tech note describing the problem and possible solutions.

Frank Ning commented Dec 04 '12, 9:23 a.m.

Thanks, Bo.

I am also doing upgrade directly from 4.0.0.1 (refresh install) to 4.0.1. Hopefully this won't happen any more:-)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.