It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burndown chart & default engineering hours

Bhavin Shukla (21112) | asked Nov 30 '12, 1:54 a.m.
edited Nov 30 '12, 3:12 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)

My question is on the default JKE Banking project provided. While playing around with it, i see a difference between planned & remaining vs. the ideal work. The starting point for planned and engineering remains the same on y-axis @ 277, but the planned work starts @ ~260. For what reasons do i see this difference of 20?

Second, when i assign effort in terms of hours, say 8 hours for instance, the tool by default makes it 1 day. In a realistic scenario it is not 8 hours but ideal engineering hours would be around 5-6 hours which excludes various ceremonies. Can i modify this default assignment done by the tool from 8 hours to say 5 hours?

-Bhavin

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 30 '12, 3:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
With respect to your second question, as far as I can tell you can not do that. Since the timeline is against real time, I don't think that it would make sense to do that either. My suggestion would be to add a correction to the estimates instead. If someone estimates 5 hours engineering hours I would enter 8 instead.

Comments
Bhavin Shukla commented Nov 30 '12, 5:21 a.m.

Thanks for the response Ralph. If i put 8 instead of 5, how would i justify that to the team and the customer? The team might finish it in 5, idle around until it is 8, in which case i will not get the correct velocity.

Thoughts?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 30 '12, 5:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do your developers idle the time if they can achieve an implementation below the estimated engineering hours today?

It is all about getting estimates accurate. If an hour means 60 minutes and you know actually you can only work 40 minutes in 60 minutes you need to either adjust the allocation percentage or change the estimate accordingly. So the alternative is to only provide for example 80% for a team member that is fully scheduled to the project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.