It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM 4.0.1 - thick clients - is there an need

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Nov 29 '12, 9:55 a.m.
We planning our installations for use of RTC, QM and DOORS NG into our organization and would like to know what functionality if any impose the use of "thick clients".

To elaborate, our env is divided into 2 separate domains in that users typically have 2 hosts
- that provided our corporate IM group - a locked down image (users don't have admin writes) used mainly for email and MS Office products, etc..
-  and dev hosts - used for development purposes where users typically have have full capabilities.

For corporate hosts, our IM group needs to create installation bundles, etc. for each app that needs to be installed onto their controlled hosts whereas on the dev side users can do basically what they want. Needless to say its cumbersome to get stuff installed on corporate hosts.

In our JTS setup we'll have RTC, QM, DOORS NG and RRDI. We are also getting Rational RPE for reporting.
Based on the the above, at this point I know their is a DNG client and the Eclipse RTC client. Are there any other "thick" clients required say for RRDI or RPE? (I am not familiar with these two apps.)

For DOORS NG  - is there any functional differences between the web and thick client useage? To clarify, is is there any functionality that would necessitate the use of the thick client that the web if is not capable of doing?  I'm not really interested in what the web i/f provides (e.g modify attributes) but what it lacks that forces the use of the thick client.

For RTC use on corp hosts, basically all they are doing is documentation checkin/updates. Do they need the RTC client for this or can it be done via the web or other means?

The end result of this is that I need to define what clients are needed on corporate hosts.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 29 '12, 12:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 29 '12, 12:03 p.m.
For RTC development with SCM, and some few process customization feature in RTC you would want to use the RTC Eclipse client. On windows you could use the Windows Shell integration too, which I would count as thick client.

If it is sufficient to only download change and check in single files, the Web UI is sufficient. You can use the web UI to download one file at a time from SCM and upload changes to one file at a time too.
Norman Dignard selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Nov 29 '12, 10:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In regards to RTC, simple checkin/updates can be done using the web client. A user can lock an artifact from the web client for editing and then when ready upload a new version. The web client also allows association to work item tasks.

Personally I only use the web clients for my work that uses daily both RRC and RTC, as I don't need the development and build aspects of RTC, only the work items and source code management capabilities for documents. Now depending upon the work sometimes I also upload documents to RRC instead of RTC

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Nov 29 '12, 10:08 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 >> For DOORS NG  - is there any functional differences between the web and thick client usage? To clarify, is is there any functionality that would necessitate the use of the thick client that the web if is not capable of doing?  I'm not really interested in what the web i/f provides (e.g modify attributes) but what it lacks that forces the use of the thick client. 

The rich client is optional in DOORS NG 4.0.1. You can accomplish all tasks using the web client. The purpose of the DOOR NG rich client in this release is to provide some optimizations typical of a "local client experience" when editing modules, for example,  when you might want to change a lot of attributes at once in large modules.

One approach you could take is to assume you don't need the rich client, then only add it later after comparing the editing experience and deciding whether the local user experience optimizations are worth the hassle of adding the rich client to your corporate workstation images.

permanent link
Pavan Hoskeri (613) | answered Nov 29 '12, 10:23 a.m.

Dear Norman

We have detailed information and a Capability comparison of the rich client and web client Table mentioned in the following link: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.dng.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_rich_compare_clients.html

Hope this information helps.

Best Regards

Pavan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.