It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rank number in eclipse clients

Caroline Smith (4611923) | asked Nov 29 '12, 5:53 a.m.
edited Dec 11 '12, 8:12 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

We need to be able to see the rank number of a particular work item in our eclipse client.  While this is available in the web client our developers only use the eclipse client for source control and they need to be able to see a ranked list. 

I have looked up the following stories and it says that they are done but I cannot do this.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=104396

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=121619

Could I please have information as to how I can see this number.  When I click edit on the ranked list view Rank is added to the list of items to display but the number does not show up.  When I go into the Backlog view Rank is not an option that I can add.

For us, rank doesn't have to even be a separate field, if we could even find a hack that would prepent the number to the start of the Summary that would work too.  We have two reason why we need this.  If somebody accidentally drags an item in the RTC client it will change the ranking without them realising they did it as there are no visible numbers to change.  Also as developement progresses the developers need to be able to see the actual number they are working on compared with the target number of work items for that iteration.

Please help!

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 29 '12, 6:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not able to see the rank in 4.x. I have passed your question on to someone,I hope can tell what is possible and what not, Have you looked at https://jazz.net/library/article/1033 for how ranking is supposed to work (in the Web UI)?

Caroline Smith commented Nov 29 '12, 6:16 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, It works perfectly in the web UI, if I could just get the eclipse client to look the same way.  Like I said the Rank attribute exists in the actual edit options for the ranked list but no numerical value gets displayed when you save.  Our developers use RTC for source control so it is very important that they can see the rank number to know what to do next.

3 answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Dec 11 '12, 8:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Caroline,
please refer to this page in order to open a formal RFE - Request For Enhancement.
Thanks       

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Dec 11 '12, 8:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Caroline,

I found an existing enhancement request for this hence I have resolved the new one you created as its duplicate.
Rank attribute not displayed in Eclipse client plan view (207682)

We do not have a timeline when an enhancement gets implemented, it typically depends on the business need and resource availability. When a defect or simple enhancement gets implemented, the backport again depends on the customer request with support (who handle all backport requests). However, backport request do not happen to very old versions.

Thanks,
Sharoon

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Nov 29 '12, 10:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 The integer Rank value is a web-only feature, its not available in eclipse client. This was added in 3.0 only to the web client.

Thanks,
Sharoon

Comments
Caroline Smith commented Nov 29 '12, 11:04 a.m.

Is there any particular reason as to why it cant be added to the Eclipse Client.  I am sure this is something that other people want to use.  Certainly from my googling it seems to be.  If the attribute is stored and used by the web front end why can it not be displayed in the Eclipse front end?

Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala commented Nov 29 '12, 11:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Since 3.0 majority of the features in Planning have been implemented only in web client. Please open an enhancement request if you need this feature for the eclipse client.

Thanks,
Sharoon

Caroline Smith commented Dec 07 '12, 6:35 a.m.

I haven't opened an enhancement request before.  Can you tell me where to go to do this and I will open one.

Thanks in advance
Caroline 

Caroline Smith commented Dec 11 '12, 5:44 a.m.

Done, thanks.

Do these enhancement requests generally get implemented and how long do they take.  Will there be some sort of a patch for older versions of RTC or will you need to upgrade to the latest to get the enhancement?  Our organisation has not upgraded to version 4 yet so we are stuck on 3.0.1 for now.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 11 '12, 5:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I can tell. there is no guarantee for implementation.

Enhancement requests typically get into a version if implemented and are not implemented/backported for earlier versions.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.