It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Plan vs Test Suite vs Test case

Brati Ghosh (21144) | asked Nov 21 '12, 8:42 a.m.
The Test Plan in RQM has the ability to be associated with Test Cases and Test Suites. Functionally, is this to allow the test plan to be associated to the same test cases that are contained in the test suite? Or is there some other reason?

4 answers

permanent link
Abhishek Biswas (52113) | answered Feb 05 '19, 12:15 p.m.

Prasun Roy (1673813) | answered Feb 12 '13, 2:43 p.m.
edited Feb 12 '13, 2:44 p.m.
" Fundamentally Test Plan is a logical collection of Test Cases. Lets say you have some test cases that test the Authentication functionality of a website, then you can group all those Test Cases under an Authentication_Test_Plan. 

Test Suite on the other hand is an execution unit such as Functional Test, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), Integration Test or Regression Test.

What if you need to execute all the test cases under the Authentication_Test_Plan. Do you now create another Test suite which includes all the test cases. ?
In that case, does it not make sense to just create a Authentication_Test_Suite only (and not the test plan) to group the Test Cases ??

permanent link
David Babuder (1537) | answered May 11 '16, 11:06 a.m.
Comment, not any answer:

We really need two views:
One that indicates how the test plan was formed (test suite a, and test suite b, plus test cases 1, 2 and 5)
so that I know that all of test suite a and b have been included (without having to check test case by test case).

Another view (maybe "test case list view"?) that will show all of the test cases in the test plan, so that I don't manually add "test case 6" when in fact the test case was already in 'test suite b", or conversely, that I thought test case 6 was included when in fact is wasn't in any of the test suites and it was not individually added to the plan.

permanent link
Prasun Roy (1674813) | answered Feb 12 '13, 2:43 p.m.
edited Feb 12 '13, 2:44 p.m.
Fundamentally Test Plan is a logical collection of Test Cases. Lets say you have some test cases that test the Authentication functionality of a website, then you can group all those Test Cases under an Authentication_Test_Plan. 

Test Suite on the other hand is an execution unit such as Functional Test, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), Integration Test or Regression Test. These Test Suite can have any combination of Test Cases which are required for the corresponding Testing phase. So 2 Test Suites can actually have the same or widely different Test Cases. 

So Test Plan and Test Suite have very different purposes and the only reason Test Suite is linked to Test Plan is to have a context of the Plan for which the Test Suite is executed. As Test Plan is the umbrella that helps to estimate, track and bill all testing activities so Test Suites and Test Cases need to be associated with a Test Plan.

Hope this answers your questions.

Comments
Dustan Daniel commented Feb 12 '13, 3:13 p.m. | edited Feb 12 '13, 3:18 p.m.

Thanks Prasun, that does give me a better understanding of how to use Test Suites vs Test Cases. Still not entirely clear why, when only using the Test Suite Section in a Test Plan, the Test Cases do not show the link to the corresponding Test Plan when browsing all test cases under the construction menu..

If i look at the test artifact relationships (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RqmApi#TestResRel) would the test cases part of a test suite that is linked to a test plan not inherit this relationship, and therefore show this as per my original screenshot

Prasun Roy commented Feb 12 '13, 7:15 p.m.

The relationship is not inherited because the purpose of the links "Test Plan -Test Case" and "Test Plan-Test Suite" is very different. The 1st link is for logically grouping of Test Cases and the 2nd is for tracking Test execution efforts. 

As per the test artifact relationship diagram Test Cases are directly linked to Test Plans and this relationship is independent of the relationship between Test Suites and Test Plans. So there is no question of inheriting the relationship.

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Nov 21 '12, 3:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can associated Testcase as well Test suite to the Test plan
1. You add Test suite to the test plan if it is planned to be executed as part of test plan
2. You add Test cases to the test plan, if it is planned that all this test cases to be executed for this test plan.

Now there can be cases when Testcases planned for a test plan, are also part of the test suite.
In this case You add only test suite, if you do not bother executing individual testcase but bother about executing the test suite
If you plan to execute the test case individually, add it irrespective of whether it is plan of Test suite or not.

Comments
Dustan Daniel commented Feb 12 '13, 3:56 a.m.

Hi, using CLM 4.0.1. I have a test plan, that has a test suite linked to it. In that test suite, i have on test case "Test Case 2". Also in my test plan is Test Case section wiwith "Test Case". When browsing all test cases, only Test Case shows that it is assigned to the Test Plan. Why do test cases that are part of a test suite linked to a test plan, not show this association? plan, that has

Michele Pegoraro commented Jul 31 '14, 5:28 a.m.

I agree with Daniel. If I add a test suite to a test plan conceptually I've also added to the plan all the test cases that belong to the suite. So I'd like to find a way to automize it (also because is quite frustrating select single tests to be linked to the suite and then doing it again with the plan).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.