It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Licensing Scheme for Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management.....

Om Naidu (1131) | asked Nov 20 '12, 3:33 p.m.
retagged May 12 '13, 10:05 a.m. by Lisa Caten (342913)
I am looking for some insight into Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management suite. Specifically:

Are the licenses are individual to RTC, RRC, RQM and RDM or a single line item license that can be checked out to RTC, RQM, RRC and RDM (like Rational Lifecycle Package that can be used to check out licenses for ReqPro, ClearCase and ClearQuest)?

What edition (Standard / Enterrise ) of RTC, RRC, RQM and RDM is bundled in this?

Can anyone shed light on this. I contacted the local sales rep. Require more clarification before getting into technical details.

Thanks,

Om

5 answers

permanent link
KrishnaKanth Naik (76511015) | answered Nov 21 '12, 12:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Going by your example, When you assign a CLM license to users, and when 1 users logs in to RTC, you now have 19 more licenses that could be used for 19 other users. When the same user switches to use RRC, there is no newer license being used up.

CLM license allows users to seamlessly glide across, different applications (RRC<->RTC<->RQM). That is the use of this license. You might want to mix the licenses as per your requirements, if you present your usage pattern, the sales engineers should be able to give you a good combination.

Comments
Guido Schneider commented May 09 '13, 3:44 a.m.

We bought for each product individual licenses, because the CLM practitioner was not available at this point (v.3.0) or we didn't know about this option.

This means we have now many users which have three licenses assigned:
- Developer floating
- Analyst floating
- QM Professional floating

I have set the license order for all three applications (/ccm, /rm, /qm) to first use the developer license and then the application specific one, because I have most of the developer licenses available.

What we see is, if a user switch between the applications, also just to read dashboards and artifacts, without editing any artifacts in any of the tool, he gets often two of the them or all three licenses assigned. This means also just to use the common part, which is licensed in the developer, the system takes a analyst or a professional license, also when the user already has borrowed a developer.

This odd (wrong?) behavior could be prevented with a CLM practitioner license.

Do you know, is there a way to convert existing licenses to CLM licenses? Or is this a local discussion I have to do with my sales rep?

Robin Bater commented May 09 '13, 8:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Guido, I would speak with your sales rep.

permanent link
Om Naidu (1131) | answered Nov 21 '12, 12:34 p.m.
Thank you all.

I would like to know if we buy the CLM licenses and if a developer uses RTC alone, does it check out and consumes all the individual product licenses for RRC, RQM too?

For example:

If I buy 20 CLM licenses, does it give the capability to use 20 RTC, 20 RRC and 20 RQM individually? If yes, that is desired.

If the answer is no to the above question, does it mean that RTC+RRC+RQM total users will be only to a maximum of 20?

If the answer is yes for the above question, who and why will they buy CLM license?

Does the RTC, RRC, RQM standard developer licenses also include ClearCase, ClearQuest and ReqPro connectors?

Sorry too many questions, but dealing with Sales Rep replying are very evasive. So I tend to educate myself more.

Thanks,

Om

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Nov 21 '12, 12:56 p.m.

I can't address CLM licenses as I only just found out about them.
From my discussions with our sales rep, the connectors are included as part of a JAZZ tool license. It's use also consumes a CC/CQ/RP license dependant on how your set up.

Note also the there are different licenses - floating, named user. Buying 20 floating licenses only means your limited to 20 concurrent users. I believe there are some guidelines in that library 568 doc on ratios of users to licenses: eg. RTC 2:1 etc..

permanent link
KrishnaKanth Naik (76511015) | answered Nov 20 '12, 9:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Om

The responses mentioned by Norman and Jerry have the right resources to information on this concern. Just wanted to add on to these details, that when you setup jazz based applications, you have 2 types of licenses that you can install:
1) Individual Apps (RRC/RTC/RQM/DM)
2) Collaborative license (1 license that can be used across different apps).

Upto version 4.0.0.1 we used to have the default LPA license that used to cater to such a functionality, but was limited to 1 license. I was just looking up latest version for CLM (4.0.1 RC3) and used up the trial licenses, and it seems that this offers 10 CLM licenses.

permanent link
Jerry Shengulette (63914) | answered Nov 20 '12, 3:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The best information I've found comes from here: https://jazz.net/library/article/548.

Hope that helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.