It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Proper way to add updates / new software to jazz eclipse client

Nathaniel Mills (111) | asked Nov 19 '12, 3:09 p.m.
edited Nov 19 '12, 3:09 p.m.
When I installed the jazz eclipse client 4.0.0.1 I wanted to ensure Eclipse was at the latest level but there was no update site configured.  I noticed the Eclipse version was 3.6.2 so I added this URL:

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/helios

and found that while there were no updates I was able to install the Web features through the Install Software feature. Is this the proper way to do this? If so, why wouldn't this link have  been configured in the Eclipse client?

3 answers

permanent link
Nathaniel Mills (111) | answered Dec 04 '12, 8:10 a.m.
Thanks for the responses. My question was more focused on the combined package of eclipse and the RTC client was not configured to allow updates to eclipse as it was missing the eclipse update site information.  I've fallen back to using the P2 approach as I agree it is easier to install eclipse and then the RTC client into it.  However, for folks that use the bundled approach to install both at once, they shouldn't be penalized by not having eclipse properly configured to receive updates.  It would be nice if RTC also followed the "Check for Updates" model used by eclipse as that is a simple way to keep the system up to date.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 03 '12, 6:20 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Another way is to use an Eclipse ZIP version and install P2 into it or the vanilla zipped RTC Eclipse client. You can zip the result or upload it to a shared drive, where you can have users get a copy for their machine. I prefer this, because it makes managing different versions on a machine easier. If you don't need it any more, just delete the folder. Distinguish the different versions by a version number in the past. 

permanent link
Chris McGee (50511117) | answered Dec 03 '12, 11:32 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe that the supported way to upgrade your eclipse is to use the IBM Installation Manager to upgrade your client whenever your server is updated to a newer version (e.g 4.0.1). As time goes on jazz will adopt newer versions of eclipse and provide that newer version in the next product release.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.