It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Failure to start jazz team server

nityananda sahu (111111) | asked Nov 18 '12, 11:01 a.m.
Hi
 i have  download  the RTC-Web-Installer-Win-4.0.0.1 software and i downloaded the jazzt team serve, when i am starting the server  the following exception is coming in the server. i have also change the connection port no in the server.xml folder but the same is coming.please help me.

"Throwable occurred: java.io.IOException: Cannot rename original file to C:\Progr
am Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\tomcat-users.xml.old"

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 19 '12, 7:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Don't install into program files. Windows treats this as a special folder where you usually have no permission to modify. You are probably using Windows 7 and you would have to explicitely open a shell as administrator and run server.startup.bat.

All that could be avoided if you

- Install installationmanager, shared and CLM into something like

C:\IBM\InstallationManager
C:\IBM\IBMShared
C:\IBM\CLM4001\JazzTeamServer

Comments
Sreenath Nookala commented Aug 08 '13, 6:25 a.m. | edited Aug 08 '13, 6:53 a.m.

Hi Ralph, I have downloaded RTC 4.0.3 and installed on Win Server 2008 R2. I get same error mentioned above.
"Throwable occurred: javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot rename original file to
 C:\JazzCLM\CLM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\tomcat-users.xml.old"

I have installed as below as per your suggestion.
Installation Directory: C:\JazzRational\Installation Manager\eclipse
Shared Resource Directory: C:\JazzCLM\IBMIMShared
Package Group Installation Directory: C:\JazzCLM\CLM\JazzTeamServer

But still I get above error mentioned, can you help here.

I noticed one more weird thing....I find new file created at C:\JazzCLM\CLM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf by name "tomcat-users.xml.new". The error quotes "tomcat-users.xml.old" but conf directory contains file by name "tomcat-users.xml.new". Is something wrong ??

Bo Chulindra commented Aug 08 '13, 10:22 a.m. | edited Aug 08 '13, 10:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Perhaps your C:\JazzCLM folder still requires administrator privileges? To test, you can try starting the server with administrator rights.

The exception is because it cannot rename the file to tomcat-users.xml.old. It makes sense then that you do not have that file.

Sreenath Nookala commented Aug 08 '13, 11:55 a.m.

In fact, I have installed CLM using user id with local Administrator privileges.

I googled for the message and also did some investigation on the Win 2008 RC2 server...I am not able to modify none of the files copied in C:\ Drive or C:\Program Files folder. This is due to UAC concept introduced by Microsoft in WIn 2008. This concept is not well received by Windows users.
UAC restricts users(even with the membeship of "Administrators group) for modifying any file/folder. This feature has to be disabled to modify the file contents. More details are at below URL.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3044901/windows-server-2008-r2-file-permissions

After UAC feature is disabled, configuration of CLM is successful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.